Hybrid View

As Salamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah. Allahul-Musta'an, this is outrageous behaviour. May Allah expose these people and their evil. How can their actions be defended after this? May Allah support you in this time of fitnah and return the affairs to what they were, Ameen.

Attempts to Change the Ownership of the Web Hosting Account for troid.org, islaam.ca, islaam.ae – and to gain control of email accounts and Web Servers

The same evening (as the above banking incident), we noticed that access to our email accounts was not working. Upon seeing this, we sought to log in to our web server (for the abovementioned websites) to check on this issue and found that the password for the webserver didn’t work – it seemed that someone had changed the passwords and locked us out of our webserver and emails! Upon logging in to the customer contact section of our web hosting company, amazingly we found that the ownership of our webserver and the websites above had been changed to Aron (Harun) Cole – the local ringleader for this takeover bid. Here is a screenshot of this fraud:

Note that the address matches TROID but the owner and point of contact had been changed to Aron (Harun) Cole! So they used the same method of paper-fraud (mentioned above) to convince our web host that they are in charge of these websites and rightful owners! This worked for a short time, and they sought to move very quickly.

During this five hour window of time they had control, Harun and those aiding him changed our email account passwords, got access to prersonal email accounts and even sent this sample test email to make sure they were in control! (which we found later in our inbox – when we resolved the issue – perhaps they thought they were victorious and we wouldn’t gain control of the sites/email again!), this is the given email:

Begin forwarded message:
    Date: 16 July, 2011 0:52:15 EDT
    To: <info@troid.org>
    Subject: Test

Naturally, we sought to resolve this issue quickly with our web hosting company. We managed to speak to exactly the same associate that Aron (Harun) Cole had spoken with. He detailed to us the documents that Said Ali and Aron (Harun) Cole had sent him (imagine that – for those who know or had contact with troid.org in the last 10 yrs, do those names mean anything to you as it relates to troid.org?). So he asked me for more updated accounts and proofs of which I was easily able to supply. He then asked me some simple security questions. He (web hosting rep.) asked me “when was the account created?” and “when did you move to a new server?” of which I was able to provide accurate answers off the top of my head. At this point, the web hosting rep. was convinced of the rightful owner and began to open up to me. He said, “These guys, hackers or whoever they are, I asked Aron the same question (i.e. how long has the account active) and he answered ‘a few years’ and he was quite angry with me and I believe you are the rightful owner and we will take steps to secure the situation.”

So this non-Muslim is even alleging that Aron (Harun) Cole lied to him – in this case to gain control of troid.org and the group of troid websites and to access our email accounts (which they did for several hours including personal accounts). The web hosting rep. granted us access to his log of this event for legal purposes which we will be pursuing against the fraudsters and confidence tricksters. Al-Hamdulillaah, the web hosing issue was secured and resolved but not before a bold, ludicrous and simply evil attempt to strongarm them away from their rightful custodians with lies and deception.

Attempts to Change Ownership to the Registration Rights of the Domain “troid.org”

Following the clandestine web hosting overtake attempt, like the clandestine bank account overtake attempt – it occurred to us that the next logical step involving their paper fraud would be to gain control of the registration and ownership of the domain name "troid.org" (for those unfamiliar with websites, there are two aspects, the domain name registration and the web hosting account). Keeping all the technical details to one side, we have possession of the IP address from which this fraud was being attempted, which traces back to a cable account at Rogers. We will be pursuing legal action after tracing the invidual with this information, it is clear that Harun Cole used the services of some other person in this fraud.

One should also note, that a few days before the website overtake bid, our group of sites were hacked, and a few days before that, our web developer's laptop and phone were stolen - we ask Allaah to expose those who did these acts and bring them to justice, ameen. Currently our group of websites is offline and going through some transitions, it should also be noted that any email correspondence from @troid.org or the domain www.troid.org currently is not emanating from us.

This is extremely disturbing news and I'm praying for the community at TROID that the matter is resolved swiftly and that Allah protects them from further harm especially as we're entering into Ramadhaan.

I ask Allah to free our noble and beloved brothers of TROID from these evil and repugnant allegations. The "Protected one is the one Allah protects",so the protection of Allah is sought from those who find it easy to wage war against their Salafiyyah brothers.

Love for Ahlus-Sunnah wa Hadeeth
    Aboo Zaahid Jalil Meekins
    Phila.,P.A.

Using the Ruse of Claiming Financial Mismanagement As A Disguise For Their Takeover Bid

The claim of financial mismanagement is one of the most effective ways to start mobilizing people against those responsible for the running of centers of da'wah with a view to removing them and taking their place. We are sure this has been done in other places against those upon the way of the Salaf who strive to connect people to the Scholars and call to clarity in aqidah and manhaj. Those behind the paper-fraud documented above have acted no differently and have taken this route because it is a very effective method to start casting doubts in the minds of the community.

The reason why this is a very effective method is that in order to counter and rebut all the allegations, the accused have to spend an excruciatingly long time in clarifying the allegations and explaining all the various situations and circumstances surrounding the financial affairs of the running of a mosque and da'wah center and provide facts, details and evidences that prove otherwise and all of this can be complex. By the time they start explaining and clarifying and recounting historical contexts to financial dealings and decisions, the damage has already been done, because screams of "scandal" always attract attention and most people never bother to check the facts. This is how tabloids work to shape public opinion, and this is also how those who lust for power and position also choose to operate.

With Allaah's praise we are aware that those behind this bold attempt have been and are still trying to garner support from the community and elsewhere for their despicable actions. We have anticipated their claims and already have a detailed response for their allegations. The question is to see how bold they will be in trying to spread many more lies and deceptions now that their agenda is out in the open and it has become clear to the people that even if for argument's sake they had a genuine grievance they have definitely lost all credibility and have only exposed the dishonesty, treachery and personal interests that characterize their ringleaders. There is absolutely no defence for what they have been exposed for thus far. Nobody, not even in their dreams, could conjure up a defence for these actions and say that they are in perfect harmony with the Shariah and in perfect harmony with justice, fairness and rectification, even if they waved fatwa after fatwa from whatever Scholar(s) they allege are in support of them and what they are doing.

All we can do in this post is to address just one of their many allegations as an illustrative example. They claimed in of their documents that we have:

No concrete plan to bring an Imaam; all the money is divided back to these two individuals
    This is an example of how they take an issue (bringing an Imaam) which has explanations and reasons, and then employ it as part of others to try to cast aspersions and doubts. Now what is below is part of a much longer and comprehensive response we have made to all their allegations, and some of the things mentioned therein themselves require more background information, so the reader may get a little lost, and this is precisely the point we have made above about the nature of these types of issues. The reader should ignore the details that don't make sense as they are part of a much longer rebuttal and clarification which we shall make available if and when these people decide to be so bold (and stupid) as to spread their lies and allegations further.

1. As for the first part of this statement, “No concrete plan to bring an Imaam…” the writers of this document claimed in another place, that no one else is allowed to be involved (in TROID other than two brothers), that being the case, how could they ever know (one way or the other) about the plan to bring a student of knowledge to Toronto?
    2. Bringing a student of knowledge to Toronto is not a simple task, it requires that someone is willing and capable firstly, and a financial base is required to support him. In the case of a foreigner, it has legal and work visa requirements, in the case of a Canadian, that situation has not presented itself. We have mentioned to the community, and re-iterated many times, that we, wal-hamdulillaah, have established a non-profit store including a publishing wing, something we spawned (by Allaah’s permission) of the printing of our first publication “The Creed of the Four Imaams”, it is something we have invested in to create an outlet to support a student of knowledge, Imam and administrative staff. Our request to the community has consistently been “We have a target of $5000 a month”, from that amount is rent $2550 and other operational expenses/bills and janitorial. We have mentioned many times that if this target can be reached (of which we haven’t been able to get beyond $2500/month consistently) we have the resources and wherewithal (within TROID Publications and TROIDStore) to support a student of knowledge (to the range of about $2500/monthly). We do not want to make any false promises to any potential student of knowledge and then leave him destitute or in need or relocation after six months etc. so until this base of support for the building can be firmly established, we cannot move forward.
    3. The deceptive writers of this document claim that “all the money is divided back to these two individuals” a slanderous claim, without proof and witnesses that could result in their flogging in an Islamic court – but let’s put that aside for a minute – if it is the case that these two brothers only have self-interest at stake, why on earth would they let the school leave when they agreed to pay $2500 (but refused to change the leadership and directive of the school moving forward), $2500 extra in the coffers should be in their self-interest, should it not? Why would they cancel the 2011 Summer Courses with Moosaa Richardson (something that generated $5500 for TROID last year), in favour of a free programme with the noble Shaykh, Muhammad Ramzaan (shouldn’t they keep the money flowing for themselves)? Rather the interests of the da’wah, integrity and uprightness were deemed uppermost.
    4. The question could be asked, “Why not create a salary for a student of knowledge and remove the need for administrative staff, as a priority?” This can be done, however, it would cause a collapse in the very financial infrastructure designed to support that student of knowledge (TROID Publications and TROIDStore) in the first place, or consume that student of knowledge with being a salesman and administrator instead of a teacher and educator (that is, if he is even capable of that). Currently, ceasing the operation or progression of TROIDStore and TROID Publications would causes a collapse in the financial backbone of this local, regional and international da’wah organization (something the founders of this document would salivate at evidently). An organisation that has been free of debt since the inception of the masjid and running smoothly without interruption (although the writers of this document certainly want to interrupt it).
    5. In a normal situation, the community is responsible for all expenses of running a masjid, it is usually 100% donation driven, this is the norm and understood. In such a scenario, the community is responsible for the building, its upkeep, all related expenses and the salary of an Imam and other staff (depending on the size of the masjid and its needs), we have never requested from the community, to provide a salary for a student of knowledge, administrator etc. although it is undeniable that these positions are pivotal to the running of the centre and organization. Our request has always been, and openly stated on the microphone, “help us to reach the target $5000/monthly (basic core expenses of the centre) and we can do the rest” because by Allaah’s grace, we have been able to strive and work hard to establish these financial outlets of support to relieve some of the burden from a hard-working and financially strapped community in a inner-city, poverty stricken neighbourhood, as our noble brother Abul-‘Abaas pointed out in a recent posting he made on Salafitalk.net.
    6. As our elder brother, Abul-‘Abbaas is a witness, we have sought to create a plan to host a student of knowledge for the last few years, something we have had detailed discussions with him about in the past – and the extreme importance of it in our city.

As for their slander:

“…all the money is divided back to these two individuals
    This is a serious allegation, a bold statement not backed up with a shred of evidence. It is so serious in nature that it is something that we should pursue in a court of law, seeking prosecution of the claimants lest they back up their claim with proofs and witnesses, and if they were to broadcast this publicly, we will seek libel, and in the view of some of the Scholars, where a Shariah right is attainable through the law of the land, it is permissible to pursue and seek to redress that right if no other option is available. There are a couple of observations:

1. In another part of their document, they claim “no new brothers have been allowed to join (TROID),” if this is the case – how then could they ascertain, “all the money is divided back to these two individuals?” Or is it that you are lying?
    2. They also mention, “There is no one to watch over their financial decisions. Ahmad Assing approves Umar’s activities, and Umar approves Ahmad’s.” If there is no one to watch over their financial decisions (other than them) as you claim, again, how do you determine that “all the money is divided back to these two individuals?” or is it that you are lying?

This is an organisation that has paid its bills on-time, month after month for more than seven years, since the masjid opened, the lights on, heating and AC on, no bounced rent cheques, a flawless record, no collection agencies or debters for the community to deal with, and an influx of beautiful programmes and activities (like the Summer Courses with Moosaa Richardson and the Seminar with Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Ramzaan). It took us years to pull out of debt and mismanagement on the part of the Harun Cole and his directive, thousands in debt, an organisation floundering, spinning its wheels. We corrected this affair by Allaah's grace with hard work and kind cooperation from the community. We certainly do not want to return to a day where those who were irresponsible and incapable drowned the organisation in debt and inactivity. Those in the community who have watched the organisation grow, leaps and bounds can attest to the progress of TROID in comparison to the struggles and mismanagement of those who failed to direct the organisation both in terms of financial stability and thabaat (firmness) upon al-manhaj as-salafee. We certainly do not want to see episodes like the one below (from the year 2000) under the watch of some of these individuals who buried the community in years of debt, that set us back almost half a decade before we could pull out of it and open Masjid al-Furqaan (here is an old letter in relation to an outstanding property tax bill):

It was shortly after this notice that the organisation was forced to leave the facility of 1010 Weston Rd. (inability to pay rent/bills + fines and debts) and the organisation was relegated to the back of a cassette store on Dixon Rd., sharing with another tenant, with one computer and around 100 sqft of space to operate in and thousands of dollars in debt to deal with. It took us four or five years to recover from this debt and lack of leadership and structure on the part of Harun Cole (who was mudir). He eventually departed Toronto to establish a business in Jamaica, leaving the organisation in ruins. Now it seems that after years of pursuing business interests and abandoning the da'wah efforts in Toronto, after the ship has been righted and put back on course, they have returned to lay claim to this organisation as their own - after we wiped out their debt and failure. The intelligent person is not fooled.

I confirm that any claims that I support this movement now or supported it at one time are absolutely false. From the very first time they sought my advice about these misguided tactics, I told them in the clearest of words - face to face - that it was wrong, and I do not support it. I have repeated this appeal many times, and I pray they come to their senses and stop harming the masjid, the centre, its people, and the image of our da'wah as well.

I can also confirm from my personal dealings that the TROID administration has tried diligently to bring students of knowledge to Toronto to live and teach on a permanent basis. And this was made clear to the claimants' representatives, and when I asked them quite simply: Which student was able and willing to come to Toronto, and the admin of TROID did not approve of it? There was no answer. So my advice was at that time (about six weeks ago): Is it fair to blame them for something like this? While they are actively pursuing a solution? And have you brought a candidate to their attention or tried to help solve the problem? (Their response: They don't know of anyone available.) Yet they go on using that against our brothers, proving they have no problem continuing in an accusation that they know full well is unfair and baseless.

It has become clear to me that they were never seeking my advice about their plans (as they claimed), rather they only wanted to remind me of some bad dealings from the past and hope that I would let my emotions lead me into signing on to their petition to remove the administration.

One of their main activists said to me, out of brotherly concern (as he said): "I am afraid that any further cooperation between you and TROID could seriously harm your reputation!"

I pray that Allaah prevents me and all of you from allowing our reputation to be the motive behind our actions.

I ask Allaah to reward our brothers for their patience in these trials, and to grant them success and stability upon the Truth, and His special protection from the hidden and open plans of these mufsidoon.

And for those sincere brothers who got mixed up with the wrong people: Make towbah to Allaah for the harm to your own community you have helped cause, correct your relationship with Allaah, and follow the example of the brothers who are realizing the reality of the hidden agenda and are now walking away. May Allaah grant you success.
    Moosaa Richardson

Machiavellian Politics and Lust for Power In the Name of Da'wah and Rectification

From all the previous posts, the respected reader will have realized the reality of the matter. Here we present a letter from the self-appointed "president", Aaron (Harun) Cole. Two of these letters were sent to the two brothers responsible for the day to day affairs of the center and masjid, and this particular one is the new president dismissing the old one!

The reader should understand this was a very carefully planned and orchestrated plot, worked out in great detail, and whose execution was intended with timing and precision. They had been working to garner as much support as possible through whatever means possible from the local community and the various du'at, using dissimulation, pretence, conniving, secrecy and the likes. Part of this was the paper-fraud they had to prepare for in order to freeze bank accounts and take over hosting and other such matters.

Remember that the individuals leading this plot were present in the early stages of TROID (10-15) years ago but either resigned or just disappeared off the scene and went their own ways to pursue jobs, wealth, or whatever it was, Allaah knows best. From that time we worked to bring the center and the masjid (not present in their time) to where it is now. It is therefore from the greatest of deception, treachery and Machiavellian politics that they popped out of nowhere and tried to excecute this audacious and what can only be described as a large scale hate-filled attack upon the da'wah operation. They were hoping that by the sheer momentum they aimed to initiate by winning support from the community and support from the various callers they approached privately they could quickly execute this plan and take control over all aspects of the da'wah, from the building, to the assets, to the bank accounts and so on, with the least amount of obstacles and barrriers. As part of this they had to get or claim support from the du'at and Scholar(s). By Allaah's praise, they have been exposed, and we don't know which Scholar(s) would support such treacherous and deceptive behaviour, because these culprits are claiming they have support from certain Scholars and Allaah knows best about the reality of the matter. No Scholar would ever knowingly support such actions. As for the du'at they approached, every single one of them advised them against what they were doing, but they paid no heed, not even to Shaykh Muhammad Ramzan who told them in their faces to stop this activity. No sooner had the Shaykh left, except that they continued to steam ahead in their corruption and mischief, from Allaah is all aid sought!