Hybrid View

Verbally pronouncing the niyyah (intention) for the salaah...

Question:

We hear many people verbally pronounce the niyyah (intention) before beginning the salaah, what is the ruling on this pronouncement? Does it have any basis in the legislation?

Sh `Abdul-`Azeez ibn Baaz:

There is no basis whatsoever for this verbalisation of the niyyah in the Pure Sharee`ah, neither has this pronunciation of the niyyah when entering the salaah been reported from the Prophet - sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam, nor from his Companions - radiyallaahu `anhum. Rather the place of the niyyah is in the heart [1], due to the statement of the Prophet - sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam, “Indeed, actions are only by their intentions, and everyone shall have only that which he intended.” A (saheeh hadeeth), agreed upon by Bukhaaree and Muslim from the hadeeth of Ameerul-Mu’mineen `Umar ibnul-Khattaab - radiyallaahu `anhu.

- Translated by Yusuf McNulty
    - Fataawaa Muhim-mah Ta-ta`al-laqu bis-Salaah
    - Question no.6, page. 8-9

[1] Translator’s note:

Sh Muqbil ibn Haadee al-Waadi`ee - rahimahullaah - mentioned in his lecture Sifah Salaatin-Nabee, “… And your standing to pray is considered your niyyah, so there’s no need for you to say, ‘I intend to pray Salaatudh-Dhuhr as four rak`ah behind the Imaam’, or ‘as the Imaam’ etc, rather your mere standing for the prayer is considered your intention (i.e. it’s already present within your heart).” [End of quote]

Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah - rahimahullaah - stated in Majmoo`ul-Fataawaa (volume 22, page 22), “None of the Imaams of the Salaf held that verbalising the niyyah is an obligation, not in issues of tahaarah (purification), nor salaah (prayer), nor siyaam (fasting) nor Hajj (pilgrimage). Neither is it binding upon the one who wants to pray that he says things like, ‘I intend to pray Fajr, not Dhuhr nor `Asr, not as the Imaam nor following the Imaam (i.e. I’m praying Fajr on my own).’ Nor should he say whether it is an obligatory or supererogatory prayer, nor should he say other than that. Rather it suffices him to have his intention in his heart, and Allaah knows that which is in the hearts.” [End of quote]