Hybrid View

The Connection of Lying and Deceit to Hypocrisy, Kufr, and Bid'ah, and ultimately the Hellfire, via Proofs from the Sunnah (ahadeeth):

The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: He who deceives (cheats) is not of me. [Muslim]

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: The signs of the hypocrite are three: when he speaks he lies; when he makes an oath he breaks it; and when he is entrusted with something, he betrays that trust. [Bukharee, Muslim]

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. And a man keeps on telling the truth until he becomes a truthful person (Siddiq). Falsehood leads to Al-Fajur (i.e. wickedness, evil-doing), and Al-Fajur (wickedness) leads to the (Hell) Fire, and a man may keep on telling lies till he is written before Allaah, as a liar (Kadhdhaab). [Bukharee]

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: It is upon you to be truthful, be truthful, for indeed truthfulness leads to righteousness and righteousness leads to the Jannah, and a person will continue to tell the truth and to be conscious about telling the truth until he will be written with Allaah as a siddiq – an extremely truthful person. [Bukharee, Muslim]

The following is from Riyad-us-Saliheen:

Siddiq (veracious) and Kadhdhab (liar) both are adjectives of intensive degree. That is to say, the words stand respectively for someone whose truth has become his second nature; and in the opposite case, one is a liar who is in the habit of telling lies. As one acquires a reputation in this world for his good or bad deeds similar is his position before Allaah. One who is ranked among the truthful with Him is entitled to reward, and if one is a liar, he has to suffer retribution for it. This [above] Hadeeth provides incentive for truthfulness because it is a source of every good deed and contains a warning against lying as it gives rise to all kinds of mischief.

The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: Hold on to truth, for being truthful leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. Verily, a man will keep saying the truth and striving for truth, until he is written before Allaah as very truthful (Siddiq). Beware of lying, for lying leads to sin, and sin leads to the Fire. Verily, the man will keep lying and striving for falsehood until he is written before Allaah as a great liar. [Bukharee, Muslim, Ahmad]

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness lead to the Paradise. And lying leads to corruption, and corruption leads to the hellfire.

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: Woe to the one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh. Woe to him. Woe to him! [Hasan hadeeth, reported by al-Haakim (1/46), Ahmad (5/3-5), and at-Tirmidhee (2315)]

The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: ...I guarantee a house in the middle of Paradise for the one who leaves off lying even when joking... [Abu Dawood]

'Alee ibn Abi Talib (radiallaahu 'anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Do not lie on me. For whoever lies upon me will surely enter into the hellfire. [Bukhaari, no. 106]

Abu Hurayrah (radiallaahu 'anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Whoever lies upon me intentionally, then let him take his seat in the hellfire.[Bukhaaree, no. 110]

Al-Mugheerah (radiallaahu 'anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Indeed lying upon me is not like lying upon anyone else. Whoever lies upon me intentionally, then let him take his seat in the hell-fire. [Bukhaaree, no. 1291]

On the authority of Sumarah bin Jundub and Al-Mugheerah bin Shu'bah (radiallaahu 'anhum) said that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Whoever narrates upon me a Hadeeth while he knows it to be a lie, then he is one of the liars. [Reported by Muslim in Al-Muqaddimah (pg. 9), and at-Tirmidhee (5/32, no. 2662)]

Abu Hurayrah (radiallaahu 'anhu) reported that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: A man may utter a word pleasing to Allaah without considering it of any significance, but for which Allaah elevates his ranks (in Paradise); another one may speak a word displeasing to Allaah without considering it of any importance, but for which he would be plummeted into Hell. [Bukharee]

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (radiallaahu 'anhu) narrated: When the son of Aadam wakes up in the morning, all of his limbs curse the tongue saying, 'Fear Allaah regarding us, for we are dependent on you; if you are upright and steadfast we are upright and steadfast, but if you are crooked then we are crooked." [At-Tirmidhee]

When 'Abdullaah bin Salam (radiallaahu 'anhu) heard the arrival of the Prophet at Madina, he came to him and said, "I am going to ask you about three things which nobody knows except a prophet: What is the first portent of the Hour? What will be the first meal taken by the people of Paradise? Why does a child resemble its father, and why does it resemble its maternal uncle?" Allaah's Messenger said, "Jibreel has just now told me of their answers." 'Abdullaah said, "He (i.e. Jibreel), from amongst all the angels, is the enemy of the Jews." Allaah's Messenger said: The first portent of the Hour will be a fire that will bring together the people from the east to the west; the first meal of the people of Paradise will be Extra-lobe (caudate lobe) of fish-liver. As for the resemblance of the child to its parents: If a man has sexual intercourse with his wife and gets discharge first, the child will resemble the father, and if the woman gets discharge first, the child will resemble her. On that 'Abdullaah bin Salam said, "I testify that you are the Messenger of Allaah." 'Abdullaah bin Salam further said, "O Allaah's Messenger! The Jews are liars, and if they should come to know about my conversion to Islaam before you ask them (about me), they would tell a lie about me." The Jews came to Allaah's Messenger and 'Abdullaah went inside the house. Allaah's Messenger asked (the Jews), "What kind of man is 'Abdullah bin Salam amongst you?" They replied, "He is the most learned person amongst us, and the best amongst us, and the son of the best amongst us." Allaah's Messenger said, "What do you think if he embraces Islam (will you do as he does)?" The Jews said, "May Allaah save him from it." Then 'Abdullaah bin Salam came out in front of them saying, "I testify that None has the right to be worshipped but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah." Thereupon they said, "He is the evilest among us, and the son of the evilest amongst us," and continued talking badly of him. [Bukharee, The Book of the Prophets]

On the authority of Anas (radiallaahu 'anhu): The Prophet said: No prophet was sent but that he warned his followers against the one-eyed liar (Ad-Dajjal). Beware! He is blind in one eye, and your Lord is not so, and there will be written between his (Ad-Dajjal's) eyes (the word) 'Kafir' (i.e., disbeliever). [Bukharee]

On the authority of Samura bin Jundub, the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "I saw (in a dream), two men came to me." Then the Prophet narrated the story (saying), "They said, 'The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection."' [Bukharee; the other narration - also in Bukharee - has the full version]

Narrated by Abu Huraira (radiallaahu 'anhu): Allaah 's Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered me to guard the Zakat revenue of Ramadan. Then somebody came to me and started stealing of the foodstuff. I caught him and said, "I will take you to Allaah's Messenger!" Then Abu Huraira described the whole narration and said:) That person said (to me), "(Please don't take me to Allaah's Messenger and I will tell you a few words by which Allaah will benefit you.) When you go to your bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi, for then there will be a guard from Allaah who will protect you all night long, and Satan will not be able to come near you till dawn." (When the Prophet heard the story) he said (to me), "He (who came to you at night) told you the truth although he is a liar; and it was Satan." [Bukharee, The Book of the Virtues of the Qur`an]

Hudhaifa ibn Yaman (radiallaahau 'anhu) said: There is nothing that prevented me from witnessing the Battling of Badr except that I and Abu Hafeedh went out and we were taken by the Quraish, so they said, 'It's Muhammad that you want [to go to].' So we said, 'We don't want [to go to] him; we just want to go to Madinah.' So then they took a covenant with us, by Allaah, that we will only go to Madinah and that we will not fight alongside him. So we went to the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and he said, "The two of you have to go; you can't fight." [Muslim]

Mu'aadh ibn Jabal (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) asked the Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) about the deed which will cause him to enter Paradise and make him far and remote from the Fire, so he [the Prophet] informed him of the head of the matter, its [main] pillar, and apex, and then said: Shall I not inform you of what controls all of this? He replied, 'Certainly, O Messenger of Allaah.' He took hold of his tongue and said: Keep this in control. He then asked, "Shall we be held accountable for what we say?" He said: May your mother be bereaved of you, O Mu'aadh. Is there anything that will cause the people to be thrown on their faces - or he said on their noses - except that which their tongues reap?! [At-Tirmidhee]

Hakim bin Hizam (radiallaahu 'anhu) reported that: Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Both parties in a business transaction have a right to annul it so long as they have not separated; and if they tell the truth and make everything clear to each other (i.e., the seller and the buyer speak the truth, the seller with regard to what is purchased, and the buyer with regard to the money) they will be blessed in their transaction, but if they conceal anything and lie, the blessing on their transaction will be eliminated. [Al-Bukharee and Muslim].

On the authority of 'Aa`isha (radiallaahu 'anha): The Prophet said: While the angels talk amidst the clouds about things that are going to happen on earth, the devils hear a word of what they say and pour it in the ears of a soothsayer as one pours something in a bottle, and they add one hundred lies to that (one word). [Bukharee]

On the authority of 'Aa`isha (radiallaahu 'anha): Some people asked Allaah's Messenger about the fore-tellers. He said: They are nothing (i.e. liars). They said, 'O Allaah's Messenger! Sometimes they tell us of a thing which turns out to be true." Allaah's Messenger said: A Jinn snatches that true word and pours it into the ear of his friend (the fore-teller) (as one puts something into a bottle). The foreteller then mixes with that word one hundred lies. [Bukharee]

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (radiallaahu 'anhu): Allaah's Prophet said: When Allaah decrees some order in the heaven, the angels flutter their wings indicating complete surrender to His saying (a fluttering) which sounds like chains being dragged on rock. And when the state of fear disappears, they ask each other: "What has your Lord ordered? They say that He has said that which is true and just, and He is the Most High, the Most Great." (Saba', ayah 23). Then the stealthy listeners (devils) hear this order, and these stealthy listeners are like this, one over the other." [Sufyan, a sub-narrator demonstrated that by holding his hand upright and separating the fingers.] A stealthy listener hears a word which he will convey to that which is below him and the second will convey it to that which is below him till the last of them will convey it to the wizard or foreteller. Sometimes a flame (fire) may strike the devil before he can convey it, and sometimes he may convey it before the flame (fire) strikes him, whereupon the wizard adds to that word a hundred lies. The people will then say, 'Didn't he (i.e. magician) tell such-and-such a thing on such-and-such date?' So that magician is said to have told the truth because of the Statement which has been heard from the heavens." [Bukharee]

Abu Bakrah (radiallaahu 'amhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Shall I not inform you of one of the gravest of the major sins?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allaah!'' He (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "To join others as partners with Allaah in worship and to be undutiful to one's parents." The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) sat up from his reclining position (in order to stress the importance of what he was going to say) and added, "I warn you making a false statement and giving a false testimony. I warn you against making a false statement and giving a false testimony." The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) kept on repeating this (warning) till we wished he should stop. [Al-Bukharee and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: The Messenger of Allah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Do not practise Najsh (to cheat)." [Muslim].
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.