Hybrid View

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Loving and Hating for Allaah's Sake!

Allaah said (what means): You will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allah and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred. For such He has written faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Ruh from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allah is well pleased with them, and they are well pleased with Him. They are the party of Allah. Verily, the party of Allah will be the successful. (Al-Mujadilah, ayah 22)

This ayah was revealed concerning the sahaabah (radiallaahu 'anhum), who either killed a relative in the Battle of Badr, or intended to. Abu Bakr As-Sideeq had a disbelieving son ('Abdur-Rahman) who afterward told his father, "I saw you but I avoided you (meaning because you are my father)." Abu Bakr (radiallaahu 'anhu) said to him: "Had I seen you, I would not have avoided you."

Student Abu Remlah relayed that Shaikh 'Ubaid al-Jaabiree (hafidhahullaah) said: "From the VIRTUES of Ibn 'Umar & Ibn Mughafil رضي الله عنهم is that they were even harsh with their relatives who opposed the Sunnah."

Student Salah al-'Iraanee relayed the following benefits:

- The Salaf would refute their own family in upholding the truth! Ibn Abee Unaysah used to say, "Indeed my brother Yahya is a liar.."

- 'Alee ibn Al-Husayn ibn Al-Junayd stated, "I heard Abu Dawood saying: 'My son 'Abdullaah is a liar.'"

- 'Abdus-Samad al-Madkhalee said, "Shaykh Ahmad al-Najmee even refuted his Hizbee son in public after Jumu'ah!.."

These are examples of loving and hating for Allaah's sake.

These are examples of putting no one above the truth.

These are examples of being loyal to Allaah 'Azza wa Jall - and no one in opposition to Him! Subhana!

So if your classmate or your own relative or your imam or a scholar that you benefited from or even the person whom Allaah used to guide you to Islaam or Salafiyyah, if that individual deviates, then from that moment on you must free yourself from attachment to him, break off your loyalty, for loyalty to him at that point becomes blameworthy and plunges you into what you have been running away from all these years - hizbiyyah!

Remember, Hizbiyyah is: having loyalty or allegiance to an individual or group in opposition to the Qur`an and Sunnah, and having al-Walaa` (association, amity) wal-Baraa` (and dis-association, enmity) for them.

Student Abu 'Abdus-Salaam Siddiq Al-Juyaanee (hafidhahullaah) relayed that Shaikh Ahmad ibn 'Umar Bazmool (hafidhahullaah) advised with the importance of following the Sunnah of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). And as Shaikh Bazmool did with the topic of Ikhlaas in the first part of his highly beneficial NaseeHa, likewise the Shaikh highlighted one specific aspect of following the Sunnah in the second part of his NaseeHa: that a person should not place anyone's statement above the statement of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) - NOT EVEN A SCHOLAR's STATEMENT, NOT EVEN an IMAM's STATEMENT.

No one in this Ummah is Ma'soom (infallible) except Prophet Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, who who did not speak from his own desires. It was only revelation revealed to him.) He is the one who we follow, and we refer matters back to him [his Sunnah, after his death] and we don't place anyone's words above his (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) words.

The Shaikh said: By Allaah, if your shaikh was the Imam of his time, like Ibnu Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) or Ahmad ibn Hanbal or ash-Shafi'ee or Malik or al-Awza'ee or like this one or that one from the Imams of al-Islaam, then by Allaah it will not be permissible for you to be bigoted and staunch to him. Even if he was the Imam of his time, like Shaikh-ul-Islaam Ibnu Taymiyyah, like Imam Ahmad, Imam Malik, Imam ash-Shafi'ee, Imam al-Awza'ee, and so and so from the Imams. If he was truly on the same level and caliber, and was an Imam of the time, it is still not permissible that you have a staunchness and a bigoted and over-inflated opinion and sticking to him. It is not permissible.

It is not permissible. Why? Because we follow the truth - not the man. We follow the truth. And the truth - as we know - is not known by the men. But if you know the truth, then you will know who the men [of the truth] are. If you know the truth, then you will know who the men [of the truth] are. ...

The shaikh said: Even if he was the Imam of his time, it still would not be permissible to have a staunchness and a bigoted opinion for him. How about then, if your shaikh was just a student of knowledge. How about then, if your shaikh was from the criminals? How about then, if your shaikh was an extreme liar, or a stealer of speech, or a person who misinterprets the texts, and takes them out of their contexts? So if you can't have a bigoted and a staunch opinion and attachment for the Imams, then what about other than them? Don't you have shyness with Allaah, or do you want to act like this with Allaah's Religion?

Don't you have shyness with Allaah, or do you want to act like this with Allaah's Religion?

In fact, all the major scholars warned against this - warned against following them in a staunch and bigoted manner. At-Ta'asub (bigoted, staunch attachment) is to reject the truth and remain consistent upon falsehood. Also, it [At-Ta'asub] is to refer all matters back to one individual, and love and hate for him [instead of for Allaah]! To the extent that [you hold that] whatever he [this individual] says is true and whatever he rejects is false." ...

It's not possible to get to Jannah except by being upon the way of the Prophet Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his sahaaba (radiallaahu 'anhum). Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: ...All in the hellfire except one...That which I and my companions are upon today. There's no other way that leads to Jannah.]
    In explaining the one aspect of Ikhlaas that Shaikh Bazmool focused on during the first part of the NaseeHa - (al-Hirs 'ala Qubool al-Haqq) to be diligent and striving diligently upon the acceptance of the truth, as well as sticking to the people of the truth, as well as not having any type of bigoted or biased behavior for individuals! - Abu 'Abdis-Salaam had earlier said:

"And this is why we're not going to let our shaikh get in the way of that. And this is: in all due respect. In all due respect. This is a portion of this phrase that a lot of times we don't take notice to. Due respect. Why?

Because no one is due respect to such an extent that will put them in front of the truth. No one is due that level of respect. No one. No one!

We have to follow the truth. Why? Because we're following and seeking after the truth for Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala. For Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala.

We don't let anyone get in the way of that. We don't let anyone get in the way of that. We seek the truth for Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala.

So if a person had a bigoted opinion for his scholars, then this is not a person who is sincere for Allaah, and he will have some deficiencies inside of his Ikhlaas. Because sincerity will necessitate and will compel you to put the truth and to put the people of the truth before everything else. The sincerity will compel you. Na'am. So even if your shaikh has fallen into that which is wrong, because you are sincere, it [your sincerity] will necessitate that you take the truth over the statement of your shaikh.

It will necessiate that you sign with the people of the truth even if it is against your shaikh. It will necessiate [this].

Why? Because you're doing what you're doing for Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala.

So in such a situation, in which an individual is clearly in opposition and clearly wrong, no matter who that person may be, it [having ikhlaas] will necessitate that you go against him. And in a situation like this, you will find - it is appropriate - the likes of these sayings: What else am I supposed to do? There was no alternative. The truth is the truth, so I had to sign with the truth. The shaikh was just wrong. He was in error, he made a mistake, so I can't side with him. I have no choice but to go with the truth. I have no choice but to go with the people of truth. [What just preceded was an example of what a sincere and truthful person would say in refusing to place his shaikh - or anyone - in front of the truth, in front of being sincere to Allaah.]

Why? Because at the end of the day - as we do in the beginning and in the middle - we don't do what we do for the shaikh. We do it for Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala. So we have to go with the truth. ..."

Highly Beneficial Audio: http://salafyink.posterous.com/be-sincere-and-not-bias-bigoted-by-abu-abdis

Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.

Exclamation Hizbeeyah and Misplaced Loyalties

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

On the authority of Abu Hurrairah (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu):
    Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Whosoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for party-spirit,* or calling to party-spirit, or assisting party-spirit, then if he dies (in that state), he dies a death of jaahiliyyah (pre-Islaamic ignorance). [Muslim, (6/21)]

* Hizbeeyah is the modern counterpart of this 'asabiyah (partisanship and party spirit) that Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) severely warned against. The people of knowledge have defined Hizbeeyah as: Loyalty or allegiance to an individual or group (who is, or that is) in opposition to the Qur`aan and Sunnah, and having al-walaa` (alliance) wal-baraa` (and disassociation) for them.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Hizbeeyah and Misplaced Loyalties

Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (d. 728H, rahimahullaah) said:

"Indeed the people of the Sunnah do not follow anyone (unconditionally) other than the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), who did not speak from desires, rather it was nothing less than Revelation sent down to him. So it is obligatory to affirm all that he informed, and to obey all that he commanded. This status is not given to anyone else from this Ummah. Rather, everyone's statement can be taken or left except for that of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). So whoever sets up an individual - other than the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) - such that the one who loves and agrees with him is reckoned to be from Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah, and the one who differs with him is reckoned to be from the people of heresies and hizbeeyah - as happens with those groups who follow certain Imaams of kalaam (rhetorical speech) - then the person doing so is from the people of bid'ah, deviation and hizbeeyah." [1]

He - rahimahullaah - also stated:

"Indeed many - from the people who say such things - follow their desires in this, in order to elevate their egos, or to gain leadership, or whatever is connected to it. Their intention is not to make the Word of Allaah uppermost, nor is it to make the Religion purely for Allaah. Indeed they have hatred for those who oppose them, even if it is a mujtahid (a scholar striving his utmost to arrive at the truth) who is excused and whom Allaah is not angry with. Likewise, they are pleased with those who agree with them - even if it is an ignorant person with evil intentions who neither has any knowledge or good intent. This leads them to praise those whom Allaah and His Messenger have not praised and to censure those whom Allaah and His Messenger have not censured. It also causes them to have walaa` (love and allegiance) and 'adaa (enmity and hatred) based upon their own self-desires and not upon the Religion of Allaah and His Messenger... So whoever does this will only bring about fitan (trials and tribulations) between the people." [2]
    __________________________________________________ ______________

And here again is the statement of Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) who said: Whosoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for party-spirit, or calling to party-spirit, or assisting party-spirit, then if he dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah (pre-Islaamic ignorance). [Muslim, (6/21)]

And how damaging - O seeker of true unity - has its modern counter-part, Partisianship (Hizbeeyah), been in destroying the very fabric of comprehensive brotherhood. Such that the one immersed in this Hizbeeyah loves and hates, builds and destroys - not due to the ties of correct faith (Eemaan) - but due to this vile Hizbeeyah, thereby having enmity for the friends (awliyaa`) of Allaah, competing thereby with the enemies of the Prophets!!! [3]

Allaahul Musta'aan.

Shaikh Rabee' ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee (hafidhahullaah) explained Hizbeeyah: "It is showing fanaticism to a particular idea that opposes the Qur`aan and the Sunnah, showing allegiance and enmity for it. This is hizbeeyah - even if he does not organize something. He has with him a deviated idea and assembles a group of people upon it, then this is a party. (This definition) does not differ if he were to have an organization or not." [4]

Allaah, 'Azza wa Jall, said (what means):

Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment. (Al-Ma`idah, ayah 2)

On the authority of 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu): Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: May Allaah curse those who protect or accomodate an Innovator. [Bukhaaree (no. 17), Muslim (no. 1978)]

On the authority of Abu Umaamah (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Whoever loves for the sake of Allaah, hates for the sake of Allaah, gives for the sake of Allaah, and prevents (withholds) for the sake of Allaah, has perfected Eeman. [Abu Dawud (no. 4681), at-Tirmidhee (no. 2521), Ahmad (3/438, 440); 'Saheeh' due to witnesses, refer to al-Albaanee's Al-Saheeha (no. 380)]

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) also said: Verily the firmest of the handholds of Eemaan are loving for the sake of Allaah and hating for the sake of Allaah. [Musnad of Ahmad]

Imaam Muqbil (d. 1422H, rahimahullaah) said: "By Allaah, what we fear is that this hizbeeyah will end up as a Taghoot [a thing to be worshipped besides Allaah] for some of the Hizbees. If they were to make unification upon the Hizb, and to make enmity because of the party, and call the people to this party. Indeed, what we fear for them (as an end result) is a Taghootiyah." Refuge in Allaah is taken!

In his book Characteristics of The Hypocrites, Ibnul-Qayyim (rahimahullaah) said about the hypocrites: "They found the texts of the Book and the Sunnah combating their desires, so they laid down laws and principles by which they could reject them or weaken them."

In his explanation of the tremendous hadeeth narrated by Hudhaifa ibn al-Yamaan (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu), Shaikh Saalih ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah) said: "And the one upon whom death comes to whilst he has changed and substituted (the haqq, his deen etc), and followed the callers to misguidance, then indeed he will be from the people of hell fire, Walaa-hawla-wa-laa-quwwata-illaa-billaah."

Refuge in Allaah is taken!

Notes:
    [1] Majmoo‘ul Fataawaa (3/346-347), via SalafiTalk.Net
    [2]Minhaajus-Sunnatin Nabawiyyah (5/225), via SalafiTalk.Net
    [3] Salafi Publications
    [4] Tape Kashfu as sitaar, via SalafiTalk.Net

Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.