The Foundation of Marriage is Polygyny
    (Having more than one wife)

Taken From
    The Fatawaa of our
    Shaykh, Allaama Mufti of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Abdul Azeez bin Abdullaah Bin Baaz

Translated by
    Abbas Abu Yahya

Question is the foundation of marriage polygyny or is it having one wife?

The answer: The foundation in the Sharia is polygyny for he who has the capability to do so, and will not oppress them.

This is due to the many benefits of polygyny, protecting ones private parts, protection for the one who marries women and is good to them. The increase of offspring by which the Ummah is increased thereby an increase of those who worship Allaah alone.

The evidence which shows this is the saying of Allaah Ta ala:

<<Then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (the captives and the slaves) that your right hands possess. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice.>> [Soorah an-Nisa:3]
    Also, because the Messenger - sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam – married more than one wife and Allaah Subhanahu said:

<<Verily in the Messenger of Allaah you have a beautiful example>>
    [Soorah Ahzab:21]

The Messenger- sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam – mentioned when some of the companions said: As For me then I will not eat meat, another one said: As for me then I will pray and I will not sleep. Another one said as for me then I will fast and not open my fast. Another one said: as for me then I will not marry women.

So when this news reached the Prophet - sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam – he addressed the people and praised and glorified Allaah then he said: "Indeed such and such news has reached me. However I fast and open my fast, pray and sleep. I eat meat and marry women. So whoever turns away from my Sunnah is not from me.'

This is a great statement from the Prophet - sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam – which includes having one wife and polygyny.

Allaah is The One who gives the capability.

[al-Balaag magazine no.1015, 19 Rabi al-Awal 1410 A.H.]

All Praise belongs to Allaah, may His peace and blessings be upon our final Prophet Muhammad, his family, his Companions and all those who follow his guidance.
    ====
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Jeddah, KSA.