Fataawaa of the Scholars on Ikhtilaat (Mixing) Within Educational Institutions

All praise is due to Allaah, and may salaat and salaam be upon the Messenger, to proceed:

1. Fatwa of Shaykh Ibn al-Uthaymeen : The Ruling on Studying in Mixed Universities in Order to Call to Allaah

هل يجوز للرجل أن يدرس في جامعة يختلط فيها الرجال والنساء في قاعة واحدة علماً بأن الطالب له دور في الدعوة إلى الله ؟
    Question: Is it permissible to for a man to study in a university in which men and women mix in one place, bearing in mind that the student has an active role in calling to Allaah?

الذي أراه أنه لا يجوز للإنسان رجلاً كان أو امرأة أن يدرس بمدارس مختلطة وذلك لما فيه من الخطر العظيم على عفته ونزاهته وأخلاقه فإن الإنسان مهما كان من النزاهة والأخلاق والبراءة إذا كان إلى جانبه في الكرسي الذي هو فيه امرأة ولا سيما إذا كانت جميلة ومتبرجة لا يكاد يسلم من الفتنة والشر . وكل ما أدى إلى الفتنة والشر فإنه حرام ولا يجوز ، فنسأل الله – سبحانه وتعالى – لإخواننا المسلمين أن يعصمهم من مثل هذه الأمور التي لا تعود إلى شبابهم إلا بالشر والفتنة والفساد .. حتى وإن لم يجد إلا هذه الجامعة يترك الدراسة إلى بلد آخر ليس فيه هذا الاختلاط ، فأنا لا أرى جواز هذا وربما غيري يرى شيئاً آخر .
    Answer: It is my view that it is not permissible for a person - man or woman - to study in mixed schools; this is because of the great danger to his modesty, reputation and morals, because a human being, whatever may be his reputation, morals and innocence, if there is a woman sitting next to his chair - and especially if she is beautiful and revealing her beauty - is unlikely to be safe from temptation and evil and everything which leads to temptation and evil is forbidden and is impermissible. So we ask Allaah , Most Glorified, Most High, for our Muslim brothers that they protect them from such matters as these which bring nothing but evil, temptation and corruption to their young men. And if no other university is found except this one, he should leave his studies in order to study in another country in which there is no such mixing. So I do not consider it permissible, although someone else might hold another opinion.

Reference: Fataawaa al-Nadhar wal-Khulwah wal-Ikhtilaat, compiled by Muhammad al-Musnad (Dar al-Qaasim, Dubai, 1415H, p. 26).

2. Shaykh Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani

شيخنا: بعض الجامعات في الخارج فيها نوعٌ من الاختلاط, هل يجوز للواحد أن يدرس أو يُدرِّس فيها, أو العمل في هذه الجامعات؟
    Questioner: Our Shaykh, some of the foreign universities have a type of free-mixing, is it permissible for one to study or teach within them, or to work in these universities.

لا أرى ذلك, لا يجوز, لا أن يَدرس, ولا أن يُدرس

Shaykh al-Albani: I do not hold that, it is not permissible, neither to study nor to teach.

ما يحتاج تفصيل, إذا كان الشخص سينفع الله به؟
    Questioner: Does this not require clarification (as in) when a person (who studies or teaches therein), Allaah will bring benefit through him?

ما يحتاج الأمر –بارك الله فيك إلى تفصيل, لأنه مسلم مكلفٌ عن نفسه, قبل غيره, إذا استطاع أحدنا أن يعطينا ضماناً أن هذا المدرس الذي ينفع الله به, لا يتضرر هو في حشره لنفسَه في ذلك المجتمع الخليط, كما يقولون عندنا في الشام (خليط مليط) لا يتأثر, فهو كما تقول, لكن أنا في اعتقادي أن الأمر كما قال عليه الصلاة والسلام, كما في الصحيح: " ومن حام حول الحمى يوشك أن يقع فيه ". لذلك: ما أنصح رجلا يخشى الله أن يورط نفسه, وأن يدخل هذه المداخل, انجُ بنفسك: ﴿يا أيها الذين آمنوا عليكم أنفسكم لا يضركم من ضل إذا اهتديتم) والحقيقة أنا أعرف هذا الرأي لكثيرين من الدعاة الإسلاميين, وأعتبر هذا من ضغط الجو العصري الحاضر اليوم وفتنته
    Shaykh al-Albani: The affair, may Allaah bless you, does not require any clarification - because he is a Muslim, burdened with (the responsibility) to his own self before anyone else - if one of us is able to give us a guarantee that this teacher which Allaah will benefit (others) by will not be harmed, he is occupied with his own self in that free-mixing society, as they say here in Shaam, khaleetun maleetun (all mixed) he is not affected, then it is as you say, however, I believe that the affair is as the Messenger (alayhis salaatu was-salaam) said, "...like one who grazes his animals near the hima (sanctuary, the grounds reserved for animals which are out of bounds for others’ animals); it is thus quite likely that some of his animals will stray into it..." For this reason, I do not advise the man who fears Allaah to entangle himself and to enter these affairs. Save yourself, "O you who believe, you are responsible for your own souls, the one who goes astray cannot harm you if you are rightly-guided..." (5:105). And the reality is that I know this is the view of many of the Islamic callers, and I consider this to be from the pressure of the contemporary climate present today, and from its tribulation.

Reference: Silsilah al-Huda wal-Nur (Cassette no. 79)