Exclamation Allaah's Messenger: Hold Tightly Onto The Advices of Ibn Mas'ood

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Allaah's Messenger: Hold Tightly Onto The Advices of Ibn Mas'ood

Student Dawood Adeeb (hafidhahullaah) - using as sources Imam Adh-Dhahaabi's (rahimahullaah) Seerah 'Alam An-Nubula and Shaikh Saalih Aali Shaikh's (hafidhahullaah) work detailing five advices from 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) - relayed the following tremendous praises of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood from the one who did not speak from his desires, Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: (Radditu li Ummati ma radia laha Ibni 'Ummi 'Abd) "I am pleased for my Ummah what Ibni Ummi 'Abd is pleased for my Ummah." Ibni Ummi 'Abd is 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu), who was known as the son of Ummi 'Abd (radiallaahu 'anha). So this is a tremendous Prophetic praise of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood, and confirmation and endorsement of his excellent and praiseworthy understanding of this Religion.

Also, the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: (Iqtadu bil-ladhayni min ba'di: Abi Bakrin wa 'Umar...Wa tamasaku bi 'Ahd Ibn Mas'ood) Follow the two who will come after me: Abu Bakr and 'Umar...and hold tightly onto the advices of Ibn Mas'ood.

As Dawood Adeeb pointed out to bring this full circle, when the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) died, the sahaaba delayed his burial to determine a Calipha. And while deciding, things got a tad heated. Then 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood stood and spoke, and said: "We should never hold back the one whom the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) put up front." This was a clear reference to Abu Bakr (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu), whom Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) often put forward and praised, and - even on his death bed - the Prophet commanded that Abu Bakr should lead the salat (be the Imam). So Abu Bakr (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) was unanimoulsy given the bay'ah (pledge) by all the sahaaba, and then the Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was buried.

So just as Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) had said: he is pleased for the Ummah what Ibn Mas'ood is pleased for the Ummah; and we should hold tightly onto the advices of Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu).

Shaikh Saalih al-Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah Ta'aala) said, in his Sharh of Lum'atul-I'tiqaad, about 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu): "He was a Companion of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam and from the first and foremost Muslims. He was also from the muhaajireen (those who emigrated from Makkah to Al-Madeenah). He was distinguished by his knowledge, his piety, his worship and his following of the Messenger sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam. He was from the greatest of the scholars among the Companions and he was one of their fuqahaa (jurists). He died in al-Madeenah in 32 H, while in his sixties."

Dawood Adeeb relayed from Imam Adh-Dhahabi's Seerah 'Alam An-Nubula, Vol. 1, pg. 461, that Ibni Ummi 'Abd was 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood ibn Ghafil ibn Habeeb ibnu Shamkh ibnu Fareed ibnu Makhzoom ibnu Sahila ibnu Kahil ibni Harith ibn Tameem ibn Sa'd ibn Hudhail ibnu Mudraka ibn Ilyas ibn Mudar ibn Neezar. Another kunya of his was Abu 'Abdur-Rahman, a kunya (moniker) that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam) gave him before Ibn Mas'ood had a son.

Imam Adh-Dhahabi said Ibn Mas'ood was the scholar of the highest, Faqeeh-ul-Ummah (The Jurist of the Ummah), made both Hijras, witnessed The Battle of Badr, was from the first and foremost to enter Islaam, and his virtues and accolades are innumerable.

Some of the companions who narrated from Ibn Mas'ood were: Abu Moosa Al-Ash'aree, Abu Hurrairah, Ibn 'Abbaas, Ibn 'Umar, 'Imran ibn Hussayn, Jaabir, Anas, Abu Ummamah, etc...

And Shaikh Ahmad ibn Yahya an-Najmee said that 'Umar ibn al-Khattab (radiallaahu 'anhu) appointed Ibn Mas'ood as a teacher and reciter in Koofah, and Ibn Mas'ood identified the very beginning of misguidance. Even scholars among the sahaaba, such as Abu Moosa al-Ash'aree, referred matters to Ibn Mas'ood.

In addition to the virtues of Ibn Mas'ood that have preceded, here are others:

Ibn Mas'ood is one of the people whom Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said to learn the Qur`an from

Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam)said: Learn the Qur`an from (any of these) four persons: 'Abdullaah bin Mas'ood, Salim the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifa, Ubay bin Ka'b, and Mu'adh bin Jabal. [Saheeh Al Bukharee, Book of the Companions of the Prophet, N0. 3503]

Masruq reported: They made a mention of Ibn Mas'ood before 'Abdullaah bin 'Amr, whereupon he said: He is a person whose love is always fresh in my heart after I heard Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) as saying: Learn the recitation of the Qur`an from four persons: from Ibn Mas'ood, Salim - the ally of Abu Hudhaifa, Ubayy bin Ka'b, Mu'adh bin Jabal. [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

The leg of Ibn Mas'ood will be heavier than Mount Uhud on The Day of Resurrection

'Ali (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) narrated: "The Prophet sent Ibn Mas'ood to fetch him something from the top of a tree. When he had climbed the tree, [a wind blew and exposed his legs] the companions of the Prophet looked at his legs and laughed at their thinness. The Prophet said: Why are you laughing? Verily, Abdullaah's leg will be heavier on the scale than Mount Uhud on the Day of Resurrection."

He was granted permission to enter upon the Prophet, and would spend much time in his presence and learning from him

Ibn Mas'ood said: "The Prophet did not screen himself from me (had never prevented me from entering upon him) since I embraced Islaam, and whenever he saw me, he would receive me with a smile." [Saheeh Al Bukharee, Book of Good Manners, No. 5696]

Abu Musa reported: "When I and my brother came from Yemen, we used to consider Ibn Mas'ood and his mother amongst the members of the household of Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) because of their visiting them frequently and staying there for long (periods of) time." [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

No companion had a better understanding of the Qur`an than 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood

Abu Ahwas reported: We were in the house of Abu Musa along with some of the companions of 'Abdullaah and they were looking at the Qur`an. 'Abdullaah stood up, whereupon Abu Mas'ood said: I do not know whether Allaah's Messenger, (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) has left after him one having a better knowledge (of Islam) than the man who is standing. Abu Musa said: If you say this, that is correct, because he had been present when we had been absent and he was permitted when we were detained. [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

'Abdullaah (bin Mas'ood)...said: He who conceals anything, he shall have to bring that which he had concealed on the Day of Judgment, and then said: "After whose mode of recitation you command me to recite? I in fact recited before Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) more than seventy chapters of the Qur`an, and the Companions of Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) know it that I have better understanding of the Book of Allaah (than they do), and if I were to know that someone had better understanding than I, I would have gone to him." Shaqiq said: I sat in the company of the Companions of Muhammad (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) but I did not hear anyone having rejected that (statement) or finding fault with it. [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

'Abdullaah (ibn Mas'ood) reported: "By Him besides Whom there is none worthy of worship (in truth), there is no chapter in the Book of Allaah about which I do not know as to where it was revealed and there is no verse about which I do not know in what context it was revealed, and if I were to know of one having a better understanding of the Book of Allaah than I (and I could reach him) on the back of the mule, I would have definitely gone to him on camel's back." [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

Allaah raised the level and status of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood

Abu Ishaq reported that he heard Abul-Ahwas say: I was along with Abu Musa and Abu Mas'ud as Ibn Mas'ud died and one of them said to the other: "Do you find one like him besides him?" Thereupon he said: "Do you say this (no one can be his rival)? He was admitted (to the company of the Prophet) whereas we were detained, and he had been present in the company of Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) whereas we had been absent." [Saheeh Muslim; Book The Virtues of the Companions; Chapter: The Merits of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood and that of his Mother (radiallaahu 'anhum)]

So with all these virtues and praises and the witnessing of Ibn Mas'ood's piercing knowledge and excellent understanding of this Deen and the fruition of his advices, you'll now know why the scholars and their students keep on encouraging Muslims to compile or gather together all (or a group) of these advices of 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood for a tremendous benefit.

Here are some of them.

Some Advices and statements of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu)

__________________________________________________ ___________

1- It is reported that a man came to 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) and asked, "Teach me some comprehensive and beneficial words." He replied, "Worship Allaah and do not associate any partners with Him, and be with the Qur`an wherever it is. And whoever comes to you with some truth – whether he is young or old, even if he is hated by you – then accept [that truth]. And whoever comes lying to you – even if he is beloved and close – then reject it from him." [For Takhreej, click here]
    __________________________________________________ _____________

2- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "The Jamaa'ah is what accords to the truth, even if you are alone." [Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah - al-Laalikaaee]
    __________________________________________________ ____________

3- A man asked Ibn Mas'ood, "What is As-Sirat Al-Mustaqim (The Straight Path)?" Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) replied, "Muhammad left us at its lower end and its other end is in Paradise. To the right of this Path are other paths, and to the left of it are other paths, and there are men (on these paths) calling those who pass by them. Whoever goes on the other paths will end up in the Fire. Whoever takes the Straight Path will end up in Paradise." Ibn Mas'ood then recited the ayah: And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. (Al-An'aam, ayah 153) (Recorded by Ibn Jarir)

4- Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said, "Verily, we emulate and do not initiate, and we follow and do not innovate." [Al-Laalikaa’ee in Usoolul-I'tiqaad (1/86)]

5- From 'Abdur-Rahman ibn Yazeed who said : I heard 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) say: "Beware of the innovations which the people invent, since the Deen does not pass out of the hearts all at once; rather Shaitaan introduces innovations for him until he expels Eemaan from the heart; and it will soon happen that the people will abandon the obligatory duties which Allaah has made binding upon them - the Prayer, the Fast, the lawful and the prohibited, and speak about their Lord - the Mighty and Majestic. So who ever reaches that time, then let him flee."It was said: O Abu 'Abdur-Rahman, to where? He said:"Not to anywhere, he should flee with his heart and his Deen, and not sit with anyone of the people of innovation."

__________________________________________________ ______________

6- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "One should get used to the idea that if everyone on Earth disbelieved, you would not disbelieve. Do not be an im'ah (characterless)." He was asked, "And what is an im'ah?" He replied, "A person who says, 'I am with the people (I do what they do).' Verily, there is to be no following examples in evil." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

7- Yazeed bin Abee Ziyaad from Ibraaheem from 'Alqamah that 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said, "Learn! Learn! So when you have learned, then act."

8- Upon seeing those in the circles in Koofah innovating a new way of making dhikr, 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "What is this which I see you doing?" They replied, "O Abu 'Abd ar-Rahmaan! These are pebbles upon which we are counting takbeer, tahleel and tasbeeh." He said, "Count up your evil deeds. I assure you that none of your good deeds will be lost. Woe to you, O Ummah of Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam)! How quickly you go to destruction! These are the Companions of your Prophet and who are widespread. There are his clothes which have not yet decayed and his bowl which is unbroken. By Him in Whose Hand is my soul! Either you are upon a Religion better guided than the Religion of Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) or that you are opening the door of misguidance." They said, "O Abu 'Abd ar-Rahmaan! By Allaah, we only intended good." He said, "How many there are who intend good but do not achieve it. Indeed Allaah's Messenger said to us 'A people will recite the Qur'aan but it will not pass beyound their throats.' By Allaah! I do not know, perhaps most of them are from you." [Ad-Daarimee in his Sunan (1/79); Click here for more on this hadeeth]

9- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Indeed you have matured upon the fitrah, but indeed you shall innovate, and things shall be innovated for you; so when you see the innovations, then stick to the original guidance."

10- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: If anyone wants to follow anyone, follow someone dead. (Because the people still living are not free from fitnah.)

11- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Whoever wants to honor his religion and do good to it should avoid mixing with the ruler or sitting with the followers of desires (heretics, people of bid'ah), for sitting with them is more contagious than scabies." [For Takhreej, click here]

12- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Verily, Allaah looked inside the hearts of people and found the heart of Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) to be the best of all hearts, and so He chose him for Himself and sent him with His message. Then Allaah looked inside the hearts of people after Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and found the hearts of his Companions to be the best hearts; so He made them the ministers and representatives of His Prophet, fighting for his religion. Thus, what the Muslims regard as good is good with Allaah, and what they regard as evil is evil with Allaah. And the Companions unanimously chose to take Abu Bakr - radiallaahu 'anhu -as the successor [to lead the Muslims after the Prophet]." [For Takhreej and sharh by Shaikh Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah), click here]

13- 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Those whose 'ilm is alot and his speech is little, then he is praiseworthy, and those who are opposite are blameworthy."

14- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "How will you be when you are covered with Fitnah, when the elder grows old, the young grows up. When any of it is left, it will be said, 'The Sunnah has been abandoned.'" They said, "When will this be?" [Ibn Mas'ud] said, "When your 'Ulemaa have gone, and your ignorant become many, and you recitors become many, and your Fuqahaa are few, and you rulers are many, and your trustworthy ones are few, and the dunyaa is sought with the actions of the Aakhirah, and one attains understanding for other than the deen."

15- 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "The people will not cease to be opon good so long as they take knowledge from their elders, and from their trustworthy ones and scholars. So when they take knowledge from their youth and their evil ones, they will be ruined."

16- Ibn Mas'ood said: "Assess the people by their intimates, for a person only befriends one whom appeals to him and whom he admires."

17- 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "When az-Zinaa spreads in a village then Allaah permits its destruction."

18- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "By Allaah, the One who no one has the right to be worshipped except Him, nothing is in more need of imprisonment longer than the tongue, the tongue should be imprisoned should be kept in ones mouth and should only be used to express that which is of benefit to the servant."

19- The noble companion 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "Indeed, I consider that a man loses knowledge which he once had, due to a sin which he committed." [Jaami' Bayaanul-'Ilm wa Fadlihi of Ibn 'Abdul-Barr (1/196)]

20- In an authentic narration 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) used to say: "Al-Istihyaa` or shyness regarding Allaah is that you protect your head and what it contains, that you look after your stomach and what fills it, that you remember (constantly) death and decay."

So whoever desires the Hereafter abandons the adornments of the world and whoever does that, has in reality become shy regarding Allaah with the utmost of shyness.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

21- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "No generation comes except that it is worse than the former one. I do not mean a leader better than another leader, nor a year better than another year but your scholars and people of understanding will go and you will not find others to replace them. And a people will come and they will give rulings according to their own opinions."

22- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "Indeed, knowledge is not to narrate a lot, rather knowledge is to fear Allaah."

23- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "True knowledge is not measured in relationship to how much you memorize and then narrate, but rather, true knowledge is an expression of piety [protecting oneself from what Allaah prohibited and acting upon what He mandated]." Also he said, "Study and act upon what you learn." [Related by Abu Na`eem]

24- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "When anyone of us learned ten verses of the Qur'an, he did not proceed further unless he had known what they meant and what action they demanded." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

25- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Lying is not proper whether one is serious or joking. [Majmoo'-ul-Fataawa 32/256]

26- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Indeed, you see a disbeliever with the healthiest body amongst the people and with the sickest heart; and you will come across a believer with the most upright of hearts and the unhealthiest body. I swear by Allaah, if your hearts were sick and your bodies healthy, you will be more insignificant to Allaah than dung beetles."[Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

27- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Search for your heart in three situations: When the recitation of the Qur`aan is heard, in the gatherings where Allaah is remembered and in times of seclusion. If you do not find your heart in these situations, then ask Allaah to grant you a heart, for indeed you do not have a heart." [Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

28- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Sins are a possessor of the hearts." [Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

29- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Indeed, the people make their speech very good and appropriate; the one whose speech is in conformity with his actions is that one who has achieved his portion of (goodness). And the one whose speech is in opposition to his actions, then he is that one who has rebuked himself." [Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

30- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "There is not anything on the face of the earth more needed than a prolonged imprisonment of the tongue." [Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

31- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Indeed, I detest that I should see a man being idle, neither (occupied) with anything of the deeds of the worldly life nor that of the hereafter." [Al-Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim: page: 213-221, via SalafiCentre]

32- Aboo Daawood narrated that 'Uthmaan (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) prayed four rak'ahs (not shortening his prayer) in Minaa. 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood detested his action, saying: "I prayed two rak'ahs behind the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam), two rak'ahs behind Aboo Bakr, two rak'ahs behind 'Umar, and I used to pray two rak'ahs behind 'Uthmaan in the beginning of his leadership, but then he began to complete the prayer (praying four rak'ahs), and thus the paths became divided. I only wish that I could have two of the four rak'ahs accepted from me."

Thereafter, Ibn Mas'ood prayed four rak'ahs! So it was said to him, "You blame 'Uthmaan and then you yourself pray four rak'ahs?!" He replied, "Differing is evil." [Sunan Abee Daawood (1/307) with an authentic chain]

33- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "If you knew my sins, not even two people would be following my heels, and you would throw dust on my head." Dawood Adeeb relayed that Shaikh Saalih Aali Shaikh (hafidhahullaah Ta'aala) said about this advice: These are instructional words. It is like a school, without doubt. Whenever a person becomes distinguished, perhaps they (the people) will magnify him, perhaps they will extol him and perhaps they will praise him, and perhaps they will follow him.

Ibn Mas'ood said, advising his students, prohibiting them from following him, "This is a belittlement of the followers and a trial for the one being followed."

34- 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: "If I had ten days left to live, and I knew I would die by the end of them, and I had enough time to get married, I would get married for fear of temptation (fitnah)." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]
    __________________________________________________ _____

35- Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu' anhu) said: "The fortunate one is he who takes lesson from the (fate) of others." (Reported from him by Muslim (no.2645) [eng.trans. vol.4 pg.1392, no.6393]
    __________________________________________________ ________

36- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu' anhu) heard a man saying: 'Whoever does not command the good and prohibit the evil is ruined!' So he replied to the man: "Whoever does not know the good and the evil in his heart is ruined." Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbalee said: 'Ibn Mas'ood indicated that knowledge of the good and the evil in the heart is an obligation from which no one is exempt. So whoever does not know it is ruined.'
    __________________________________________________ __________

37- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu' anhu) said: "You will not narrate a hadeeth to a people that doesn't reach their understanding except that it will be a trial for some of them."

38- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "To swear falsely by Allaah (however forbidden) is better to me than swearing truthfully by other than Him." (Tabarani)

This is from the piercing knowledge of Ibn Mas'ood, who intended to show the severity of Shirk - even minor shirk - and that it is more dangerous than even lying, which is a major sin and a detestable trait.
    ___________________________________________________ _____________

39- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "By Allaah, he who gives people verdicts (fatawaa) for every question they ask him is crazy (majnoon)." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

40- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: Allaah the Mighty and Sublime laughs at two men [being pleased with them]: a man who stands in the middle of the night while his family sleeps; he purifies himself and stands in prayer, so Allaah laughs at him. And a man who meets the enemy [in battle] and his comrades are defeated; but he stands his ground until Allaah the Mighty and Sublime gives him martyrdom. [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

41- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "The example of the believer, the disbeliever and the hypocrite is that of three people who arrived at a valley. One of them descended and passed through to the other side. One of them descended until he reached half way, when the third man on the edge of the valley called to him, "Woe to you, where are you going? You will die. Come back." The man who made it to the other side called to him, "Come and be saved." So [the man in the middle of the valley] kept looking back and forth at the two [on each side of the valley], when a flood came into the valley and drowned him. The man who passed through to the other side is the believer; the one who drowned is the munaafiq (hypocrite):

[Allaah said the Hypocrites] sway between this and that, neither [fully] with the believers nor with the diibelievers. (An-Nisa`, ayah 143)

And the one who remained at the edge of the valley [not able to escape the flood and pass] is the kaafir (unbeliever)." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]
    __________________________________________________ _______________

42- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "The house in which the Qur`an is not recited is like a derelict house that has no one to maintain it... It is also reported that he said: Verily the emptiest of houses are those that are empty of the Book of Allaah." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

43- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Falling asleep when remembering Allaah is from Shaytaan; if you want you can test this: when you lie down and want to fall asleep, try remembering Allaah 'Azza wa Jall." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

44- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Women are but an 'awrah (something private to be covered). A woman might leave her house without there being any problem with her, but the Shaytaan seeks her out and says [to her], 'You will not pass by anyone except that you will impress/please him.' A woman puts on her clothes and is asked where she is going, to which she replies, 'To visit a sick person,' or 'to attend a funeral,' or 'to pray in the masjid.' But a woman never worships Allaah in the way she does when she worships Him in her house." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

45- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "May Allaah curse those women who tattoo or seek to be tattooed, those women who remove facial hair or seek it to be removed and those women who put gaps between their teeth for beautification; those who seek to change Allaah's creation.

This reached a woman from Banee Asad who was called Umm Ya'qoob and who used to read the Qur`aan. She came to [Ibn Mas'ood] and said, "What is this I hear from you, that you curse women who tattoo or seek to get tattooed, and those who remove facial hair and those who put gaps between their teeth for beauty, those who change Allaah's creation?" 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] replied, "And why should I not curse those whom Allaah's Messenger has cursed and those who are mentioned in Allaah's Book?" She said, "I have read [the Qur`aan] from cover to cover and I have not seen it mentioned." He replied, "If you had really read it [carefully] you would have found it; Allaah the Mighty and Sublime said:

And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, shun it. [Al-Hashr (59):7]

The woman then said, "Well I have just seen some of this on your own wife." He said, "Go and see her." So she went to the wife of 'Abdullaah but didn't see anything. She returned to him and said, "I don’t see anything." He said, "Well, if any of those practices had been done, I would not be with her any more." [For Takhreej and sharh from Ibn Hajar and Imam An-Nawaawi, click here] __________________________________________________ _____________

46- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "For every bid'ah with which Islaam is plotted against, Allaah has a beloved worshipper (walee) who refutes and repels it and speaks about its signs, so take the full opportunity of attending such places [where the bid'ah is refuted and the Sunnah is taught], and trust in Allaah." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

47- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) went to visit someone who was ill, and a group of people went with him. In the house (where they were visiting) was a woman. One of the visitors, a man, started to look at the woman. 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] said to him, "If your eye had been gouged out (or popped out) it would have been better for you." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

48- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Everyone speaks of good things. It is those whose words and deeds match who have acquired their share. Those whose words and deeds do not match have only reproached themselves." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

49- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifaaq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs." [For Takhreej and sharh by Imam Ibnul Qayyim, click here]

50- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu) said: "The believer sees his sins as if he is sitting at the foot of a mountain fearing that it might fall on him, while the sinner (faajir) sees his sins as a fly that lands on his nose, he just waves it away." [For Takhreej and sharh by Ibn Hajar, click here]

51- Abu 'Umar Al-Shaybaanee reported: I would sit with Ibn Mas'ood a whole year without him saying "Allaah's Messenger – salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam – said." When he did actually say "Allaah's Messenger – salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam – said." He would tremble and add, "...or something similar to this" or "words to that effect." [For Takhreej and sharh, click here]

Sources: CD Biography of Ibn Mas'ood, A Companion of Muhammad; SayingsoftheSalaf.Net Website; SalafiCentre.Com Website, SalafiTalk.Net Website

Note: If you see a text that doesn't have its source listed, and you know it, in-sha` Allaah, don't hesitate to provide it. Baarak Allaahu feekum. And if you see a text that is weak and you have proof of its weakness, in-sha` Allaah, don't hesitate to provide proof for that. Baarak Allaahu feekum. Or if you have an additional advice of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu Ta'aala 'anhu), in-sha` Allaah, don't hesitate to provide it with proof. Baarak Allaahu feekum.
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

More Tremendous Advices of Ibn Mas'ood

52- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: The people will continue to be upon goodness so long as they take knowledge from the companions of the Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), and from their elders. But if they take knowledge from the young ones, they will be destroyed. [Saheeh, reported by 'Abdullaah ibn Mubarak in Az-Zuhd, and Ibn 'Abdul-Barr in Jami' Bayanul-'Ilm: 1/616-617]
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

53- [When word reached Ibn Mas'ood that someone said the Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) did not leave a bequest], Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said:

Whoever wishes to look at the wasiyyah of Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) which is (as if it) has his seal upon it, then let him read His Statement, the Most High: Say (O Muhammad, salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam): "Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with Him... [until] And verily, this (i.e. Allaah's Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)." (Al-An'aam, ayat 151-153)

That is what he has commanded you with." [At-Tirmidhee 'hasan gharib' (3080); At-Tabaraani (1208)] ----->

Shaikh Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah) pointed out - while teaching Kitab at-Tawheed - that each of these three above verses (Al-An'aam, ayat 151-153) that Ibn Mas'ood recited include the following perfect words:

ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِه

Dhaalikum wassaakum bihi – 'that is what He [Allaah, the Most High] has commanded you with.'

Then Shaikh Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah Ta'aala) said: "This shows that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam) did not command with anything other than what Allaah commanded with. ...That the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam) commanded with that which Allaah commanded with, so every command from Allaah is also a command of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaiyhi wa sallam)."

54- Abu Khaithama (Imam An-Nasaa`ee) narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mansoor from Abu-Duhaa that Masrooq said: We were once sitting with 'Abdullaah (Ibn Mas'ood), while he was reclining on a couch, when a man came to him saying: 'O Abu 'Abdur-Rahmaan! There is a story teller by the gates of Kandah who is claiming that the sign of the Smoke will come and grasp the breaths of the disbelievers (i.e. kill them), while it will give the believers something like a cold.'

So 'Abdullaah (radiallaahu 'anhu) said while sitting up and in a state of anger:

O people! Fear Allaah! Whoever amongst you knows something, then let him speak concerning what he has knowledge of. And whoever does not know, then let him say "Allaah knows best," for indeed it is the best form of knowledge for one to say concerning things he has no knowledge of: "Allaah knows best." Allaah has indeed told His Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam): Say: I do not ask you for any reward for this (Qur`an), nor am I from the pretenders. (Sad, ayah 86) [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]

__________________________________________________ ___________________

55-'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Verily, you are in a time in which the scholars are many and the speakers are few. And verily there will come a time after you in which the speakers will be many and the scholars will be few. [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

56-'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Aspire to be a scholar or a student of knowledge or a listener (of hadeeth). And do not be of the fourth category, lest you be destroyed. [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]

57- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: If you are able to be the one receiving the hadeeth (as opposed to narrating it), then do so. [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]

__________________________________________________ ______________________

58- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Indeed, no one is born a scholar. Rather, knowledge is only (obtained) through learning. [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]

59- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Do not bore and fatigue the people (i.e. with too much knowledge). [The Book of Knowledge, by Imam An-Nasaa`ee]

60- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: Truth is heavy and wholesome, and falsehood is light and contaminated; and it may be that (some) desire will inherit a prolonged grief. [Al-Fawaa`id: pg. 219, via SalafiCentre]

61- 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu 'anhu) said: The slave will not reach the reality of Eemaan until he settles on its highest point, and he cannot settle on its highest point until poverty is more beloved to him than richness, and until humbleness is more beloved to him than elevation in status, and until praise and dispraise of him is the same to him. [Al-Fawaa`id: pg. 218, via SalafiCentre]

Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.