Messenger of Allaah: Attributing a lie to me is not like attributing a lie to anyone (else). Whoever attributes a lie to me deliberately, then...

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Messenger of Allaah: Attributing a lie to me is not like attributing a lie to anyone (else). Whoever attributes a lie to me deliberately, then let him take his sitting place in the Fire.

Imaam al-Bukhaaree reported (no.1291): Aboo Nu'aym narrated to us: Sa'eed ibn 'Ubayd narrated to us: from 'Alee ibn Rabee'ah: from al-Mugheerah - radiyallaahu 'anhu - who said: I heard Allaah's Messenger - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - say: Attributing a lie to me is not like attributing a lie to anyone (else). Whoever attributes a lie to me deliberately, then let him take his sitting place in the Fire. ... [Also reported by Muslim in the introduction to his 'Saheeh' (no.4).]

Excerpt: That there is no difference, with regard to the forbiddance of lying upon him - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - between whether it relates to rulings or relates to something which does not contain a ruling-such as encouragements, deterrents, admonitions, and so on. It is forbidden in all of this, and it is one of the greatest of major sins, and one of the worst of evil acts-by consensus (ijmaa`) of those Muslims whose saying is counted in matters of consensus. This is contrary to the Karraamiyyah sect of innovators who falsely claim that it is permissible to fabricate a hadeeth for encouragements and deterrents (at-targheeb wat-tarheeb), and they were followed upon this by many ignorant ones who ascribe themselves to zuhd, or who are ascribed to it by ignorant ones like themselves…

For the scholarly sharh of this tremendous hadeeth, click on the headline or here.
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.