Threaded View

Regarding the statements: "My recitation of the Qur'aan is created/uncreated".

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
    الحمد لله رب العالمين
    و الصلاة و السلام على رسوله الأمين
    أما بعد

Regarding the statements: "My recitation of the Qur'aan is created/uncreated"

Ibn Abee Daawood mentions in his poem 'Haa'iyyah[1]':

And do not say that the Qur'aan is created, meaning: its recitation,

Since the Speech of Allaah, through its recitation, is made clear.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah) explains:

"And this is the third Madh-hab regarding this matter;

The First Madh-hab: (They) state clearly that the Qur'aan is created.

The Second Madh-hab: (They) withold, so they do not say (the Qur'aan) is created or uncreated.

The Third Madh-hab: They say: 'The recitation of the Qur'aan is created', so one of them will (actually) say "My recitation of the Qur'aan is created!"

This (third madhhab) in reality is deception (and it is) upon the position that 'that Qur'aan is created'. It is not allowed for you to say: 'My recitation of the Qur'aan is created', neither is it allowed for you to say : '(My recitation) is uncreated'. Rather (this issue) requires a detailed explanation.

If you say: 'My recitation of the Qur'aan is created' and you do not clarify any further, then this is the Madh-hab of the Jahmiyyah [2].

If you say: 'My recitation of the Qur'aan is uncreated' then you have made your (bodily) actions equal with the actions of Allaah and you have made your action (of recitation) uncreated. This is the Madh-hab of the Qadriyyah, those who deny the Qadr (Pre-Decree) and claim that the slaves are the ones who invent their own actions and bring them into existence.

So it is a must that you clarify, in that you ask: 'what do you intend with your saying 'my recitation of the Qur'aan'? Do you intend the utterance (with the tongue) and the vocalisation/voice or do you intend that which is being recited (i.e. the Qur'aan)?

If you intend the thing that is being recited itself, then it is uncreated for verily that which is being recited is the Speech of Allaah, Majestic and Most High.

Whereas if you intended the actual utterance, that which is pronounced with your tongue, then this is created. For your tongue, voice and utterance of words are created. As for what is being recited itself - which is transmitted by vocalisation - then this is uncreated. Therefore it (the aforementioned statement) requires clarification.

They (those who make these kinds of statements) want generalities, with that you say: 'My recitation is created', or that you say: '(my recitation) is uncreated'. They enter (and start their evil) by way of this trick. Thus you must clarify, in order to cut off their path.

This is why Ahlus-Sunnah say:

الصَّوْتُ صَوْتُ القَارِي وَالكَلَامُ كَلَامُ البَارِي

The voice is the voice of the reciter and the speech is the Speech of the Originator.

Meaning: That which is being recited is the Speech of Allaah, as for the recitation and the action (of recitation), then it is the speech of the creation, his voice is created and his pronunciation (of letters/words) is created.
    Due to this peoples recitations and voices differ (in their recitation of the Qur’aan), some of them have elegance whilst others do not, some of them are good whilst others not so - this is a proof that the voice is created. Those who recite the Qur’aan differ (from each other), some of them have been given beautiful voices whilst others have not been given that, but as for the Speech of Allah - Majestic and Most High - then of course it is of the highest perfection.

It is not befitting to even enter into this matter (in the first place), however they (the Jahmiyyah and Qadriyyah) have compelled the Muslims to enter into this. It has become a must to expose them and to clarify the Truth. In reality it is an affliction and had not Allaah brought about Imaams who could clarify this, then many of the people would have remained doubtful with regards to this affair.

So the Madhaahib are three:

The First: The way of the Jahmiyyah, who speak with the creation of the Qur’aan.

The Second: The way of the Waaqifah (who say neither and ‘withold’).

The Third: The way of the Lafdhiyyah, those who say: “My recitation of the Qur’aan is created” or “My recitation of the Qur’aan is uncreated”.

We say to them (the third group): You have to make a clarification, if you intend the recitation with (your) voice then this is created but if you intend what is being recited, then it is the Speech of Allaah, which is uncreated.

For this reason it has been narrated in the Hadeeth:

((Beautify the Qur’aan with your voices))
    [3]

Thus the reciter is required to beautify his voice when reciting the Qur’aan. (The Prophet) - sal-lal-laahu ‘alayhi wa sallam - used to be amazed by a beautiful voice (reciting) the Qur’aan, he would listen to Aboo Moosaa al-Ash’aree - radiyallaahu ‘anhu - whilst he was praying during the night, because Allaah had given him a good recitation, so the Prophet - sal-lal-laahu ‘alayhi wa sallam - would listen to him. Likewise the Prophet - sal-lal-laahu ‘alayhi wa sallam ordered 'Abdullaah bin Mas’ood - radiyallaahu ‘anhu - to recite for him and he would listen to him, he said:

((Surely, I love to listen to other than myself))
    [4]

so (ibn Mas’ood) recited to him the beginning of Sooratun-Nisaa. The Prophet - sal-lal-laahu ‘alayhi wa sallam - would love to hear a nice voice reciting the Qur’aan, and (to have a) good voice is a blessing from Allaah.” (End of Shaykh al-Fawzaan’s speech).

_ _ _ _ _ _

[1] Trans. Note: A poem regarding the 'Aqeedah of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah written by Aboo Bakr 'Abdullaah bin Sulaymaan ibnul-Ash'ath as-Sijistaanee (died.316H rahimahullaah). He was well known by the name 'ibn Abee Daawood' for his father was the great Imaam Aboo Daawood Sulaymaan as-Sijistaanee (author of Sunan Abee Daawood).

[2] Trans. Note: The Jahmiyyah: A deviant, astray sect whose origins lie with Jahm bin Safwaan and his teachers, Jahm himself was later executed by the Ruler of his time (due to his corrupt beliefs). They took principles from the books of Greek/Indian philosophers and applied these to the Religion of Allaah. They negate all of Allaah's Names and Attributes including His Istiwaa above the Throne and His Descent to the lowest heaven in the last third of the night. These claims here regarding the Qur'aan are a classic example of their misguidance and confusion. They broke up/deformed into many splinter groups like the Mu'tazilah, the Kul-laabiyyah, the Ashaa'irah, the Maatureediyyah, etc. For more information, go to: www.asharis.com

[3] Reported by Aboo Daawood (1468), an-Nasaa'ee in 'al-Mujtabaa' (2/179), ibn Maajah (1342), Ahmad in 'al-Musnad' (4/283), al-Bayhaqee in 'as-Sunanul-Kubraa' (2/53), ad-Daarimee (2/565), al-Haakim in 'al-Mustadrak' (1/76, 762) and Aboo Ya'laa in 'al-Musnad' (3/245). This hadeeth was authenticated by the Muhad-dith ash-Shaykh Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah)

[4] From the hadeeth of Aboo Burdah reported by al-Bukhaaree (5048) and Muslim (236 and 793) upon the authority of Aboo Moosaa al-Ash'aree (radiyallaahu 'anhu)

[5] Reported by al-Bukhaaree (4582) and Muslim (248 and 800) from the hadeeth of 'Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (radiyallaahu 'anhu)

- Translated by Abul-Husayn Yusuf McNulty al-Irlandee from the book Sharhul-Mandhoomatil-Haa'iyyah fee 'Aqeedati Ahlis-Sunnati wal-Jamaa'ah of Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (hafidhahullaah), pg.75-77 Daarul-'Aasimah.

*The opening line of poetry was taken from the translation provided by troid.org*