Exclamation Part 1-2: The Means and Actions by way of which Reward (for deeds) is increased - Imaam as-Sa'dee

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Part 1: The Means and Actions by way of which Reward (for deeds) is increased - Imaam as-Sa'dee (d. 1376H, rahimahullaah)

Question: What are the means and actions by way of which the reward (for deeds) is increased?

Answer: As for the increase of reward for a good deed to ten times the like thereof, this has to occur in every righteous action just as Allaah (The Most High) said:

Whoever brings a good deed (Islamic Monotheism and deeds of obedience to Allaah and His Messenger) shall have ten times the like thereof to his credit.[1] As for the increase beyond this, which is what the questioner intends (in his question), it has its means: [a] It is either connected to the performer of the deed or the deed itself; andit is either connected to the time (in which the deed is performed) or the place, or its (good) outcomes.

And from the most important means of increasing (the reward for good deeds) is when a slave actualises Ikhlaas (sincerity) to Allaah and adherence to the way of the Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) in his deeds. So it (i.e. this increase occurs) when a deed is from those deeds legislated (in the sharee'ah) and the slave intends by way of it the Pleasure of Allaah and seeking His Reward, and (when) this intention is firmly established as the urge towards the deed and the goal behind it, such that his deed is (carried out) due to his belief in Allaah and His Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

And (when) the urge behind (his deed) is due to (responding) to the command of Allaah and his aim is to seek the Face of Allaah and His Pleasure, just as the meaning of (these affairs) have been mentioned in a number of Aayaat and Ahaadeeth, such as the saying of Allaah (The Most High):

Verily, Allaah accepts only from those who are Al-Muttaqeen.[2] That is: Those who fear Allaah in their deeds by actualizing Ikhlaas (sincerity to Allaah) and Mutaaba'ah (adherence to the path of the Messenger, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), just as the Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: Whoever fasts the month of Ramadaan, his previous (minor) sins will be forgiven, and: Whoever stands (in the night prayer) during Ramadaan out of Eemaan and seeking reward (from Allaah), then all of his previous (minor) sins will be forgiven. [3] and other texts besides these.

Therefore, a few deeds accompanied by complete sincerity carries much greater weight, which cannot be reached (i.e. through deeds accompanied by a weaker strength in sincerity even if they are numerous). And because of this, the apparent actions have more virtue over one another with Allaah due to the Eemaan and Ikhlaas established in the hearts. Also abandonment of what the soul desires of forbidden desires is included in those righteous actions that have virtue over one another due to the different levels of sincerity, and that is when a (person) sincerely abandons them from the bottom of his heart and not out of other than sincerity. The story of the companions of the cave (i.e. in soorah Kahf) is a witness to this.[4]

Source: http://salaficentre.com/2014/04/1-the-means-and-actions-by-way-of-which-reward-for-deeds-are-increased-imaam-sadi-rahimahullaah/

Notes:
    [1] Al-An'aam, ayah 160
    [2] Al-Maa`idah, ayah 27
    [3] Minor sins forgiven when one fasts the month of Ramadhaan, see article on this link: http://salafitalk.net/st/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=11&Topic=6255

​[4] Al-Fataawaa As-Sadiyyah. Page: 43. Slightly paraphrased]

__________________________________________________ ____
    Part 2: The Means and Actions by way of which Reward (for deeds) is increased - Imaam as-Sa'dee (d. 1376H, rahimahullaah)

And from the means of increasing the (reward for good deeds) is the basis and foundation of what has preceded [see below] and that is (the presence of) sound 'Aqeedah, a strong belief in Allaah and in His Attributes, a slave's strong desire (to worship Allaah – fulfilling the commandments and keeping away from the forbidden affairs with perfection) and his fervent desire for goodness. For indeed those who are the genuine Ahlus Sunnah Wal-Jamaa'ah - and those people of knowledge (i.e. the Rabbaani scholars) who possess knowledge of the perfect and detailed (explanation) of the Names and Attributes of Allaah and have a strong desire for the meeting with Him (in the Afterlife) - the reward for their deeds is greatly increased in a manner in which others who share the same belief can neither reach nor approach in the least.

And this is why the Salaf used to say: When Ahlus Sunnah are held back by their deeds (i.e. not having numerous deeds), they are supported by their sound creed (through which the reward for their good deeds - accompanied by strong Eemaan, sound 'Aqeedah and adherence to the authentic Sunnah - is increased). And based on this, then Ahlus-Sunnah are the guided ones and ahlul-bidah are the misguided ones. It is well known that there is a difference between the one who traverses the Straight Path and the one who is deviated from it towards the path of the hellfire, and the end result of this (misguided) person is either that he is excused for his misguidance or he may not be excused.

Source: See Fatawaa As-Sadiyyah page: 44 and Sharh Al-Asbaab Wal-A’maal Allatee Yudaa-afu Bihaa Ath-Thawaabpage: 59-65. Slightly paraphrased, via SalafiCentre and Masjid Furqan
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.