Exclamation Imaam Maalik: That you know what is permissible for you to wear from that which is not permissible is better for you than...

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Imaam Maalik (d. 179H, rahimahullaah): That you know what is permissible for you to wear from that which is not permissible is better for you than (knowing the difference between) "Daraba 'Abdullaahi Zaydan" and "Darbi Zaydin 'AbdAllaah"

Imaam Abu Bakr Ahmad bin 'Alee al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadee (d. 463H, rahimahullaah) recorded the following athar:

Abu Nasr Ahmad bin 'Alee bin 'Abdoos Al-Ahwaazee informed us, saying: I heard Muhammad bin Ibraaheem Al-Asbahaanee say: I heard 'Abdullaah bin Al-Husayn bin Sa'eed Al-Malatee say: I heard Abu Haaroon Muhammad bin Haaroon say: I heard Ibn Abee Uwais say:
    A man from amongst the nobles once attended a gathering wearing a silk garment where (Imaam) Maalik was saying some words while committing grammatical errors. So the nobleman said: 'Didn't the two parents of this man have two dirhams which they could spend on him to teach him some grammar?' Upon hearing the statement of this nobleman, Maalik said: 'That you know what is permissible for you to wear from that which is not permissible is better for you than (knowing the difference between) Daraba 'Abdullaahi Zaydan and Darbi Zaydin 'AbdAllaah.'*

* Translator's note: The first sentence is grammatically correct while the second sentence is not.

Source: "Knowledge Mandates Action," from the Chapter: Those who Disliked Learning Grammar (Nahu) Due to what that Breeds from Arrogance and Pride; pg. 86 of translated version, published by al-Ibaanah.

Related Link: They don't Seek Knowledge from him because he doesn't know Arabic Properly | Shaykh Muqbil ibn Hadee al-Waadi'ee (d. 1422H, rahimahullaah): http://video.dusunnah.com/innovation...ee-al-waadiee/
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.