Exclamation A Reminder Concerning How to Deal with Those Who recently left Bid'ah or even Hizbiyyah

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
    Amma-ba'd

Ustaadh Abu Khadeejah 'Abdul-Waahid (hafidhahullaah) relayed that Muhammad ibn 'Abdul-Wahhaab (d. 1206H, rahimahullaah) said: "A person who leaves falsehood that his heart was accustomed to is not safe from having some remnants remaining." [Kitab at-Tawheed, Chapter Eight]

A Reminder Concerning How to Deal with Those Who recently left Bid'ah or even Hizbiyyah

Shaykh Zayd Ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee (d. 1435H, rahimahullaah) was asked: Ya shaykh, how do we deal with those who left Hizbiyyah recently, and currently attach themselves to Salafiyyah, specifically those who have something of knowledge. Shall we put him forward to teach the people immediately?

The shaykh (rahimahullaah) replied: "Akkeedoo (confirm), establish what he is upon of the correct 'aqeedah and the correct manhaj."

Shaykh Abu 'Uthmaan Muhammad Al-'Anjaaree (hafidhahullaah) mentioned: When Abul-Hasan Al-Ash'aree (d. 324H, rahimahullaah) came to Imaam Barbaharee (d. 329H, rahimahullaah) to tell Imaam Barbaharee that he left his [deviant] ideas [his bid'ah], Imaam Barbaharee turned away from him, and said: "I don't have any idea what you're saying. We're upon the way of Imaam Ahmad (d. 241H, rahimahullaah)." [1]

So one should not hasten to return toward the one who repents until that individual is firm, and it is safe to return to him. When a person repents, he is not put forward. This is Madrasa Sunniyah (Sunni School)! [End of Summary of Shaykh Al-'Anjaaree's statement from his lesson "How to adhere firmly to the truth for the one without in-depth knowledge," via SalafiRadio]

Shaykh al-'Anjaaree also mentioned that regarding the person who repents and returns from his bid'ah - and even after he repents and returns from his bid'ah - he is not pushed to the forefront, he is not pushed to the forefront of our da'wah where he goes and he is someone who is speaking and giving lectures and things like this. He is not pushed to the forefront of the da'wah; rather he needs to sit in the back and it needs to be clarified and established that he has truly repented from his bid'ah. So a person doesn't become hasty and push him to the forefront and say that "he repented yesterday and today we push him to the forefront." No! The Shaykh said this is not the way of Ahlul-Sunnah... He said what affirms this meaning is what the 'ulamaa like Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Tamiyyah (d. 728H, rahimahullaah) and others have said regarding the issue of Abul-Hasan al Ash'aree (rahimahullaah) in his book "Al-Ibaanah," how he repented from his bid'ah, returned from his opinion, but the 'ulamma never pushed him to the forefront. He wrote his book "Al-Ibaanah" and he died, he repented and that was it; he was never pushed to the front of this da'wah. [End of Summary of Shaykh Al-'Anjaaree's statement, via SalafiTalk.Net]

Explaining why Imaam al-Barbahaaree behaved towards Abul-Hasan al-Ash'aree in this manner - even though by that time he had repented from the paths of the Mu'tazilah and had refuted their heads - Ustaadh Abu Khadeejah 'Abdul-Waahid (hafidhahullaah) relayed from the people of knowledge:

"...The students of Imaam Ahmad (rahimahullaah) were stern towards the people of bid'ah - and likewise towards al-Ash'aree due to the fact that they knew he was previously from the most prominent scholars of the Mu'tazilah, causing harm to Ahlus-Sunnah. So when a person repents, he is thanked for his repentance and it is hoped that Allaah accepts it, BUT he is not raised immediately to a high rank amongst the people until and unless it is established that his tawbah was true and correct - and this takes time. A caller to bid'ah who repents is to be watched and monitored in order to establish that he remains steadfast upon the Sunnah. The scholars also state that since al-Ash'aree spent many years upon the 'aqeedah of the Mu'tazilah, even when he repented, some of the doctrines of Ibn Kullaab (i.e. the Kullaabiyyah) remained with him, and some of that was still evident in his later writings.

What is known is that regardless of what took place between the two in this meeting, Abul-Hasan nevertheless remained steadfast upon his tawbah and retraction from his errors, continually refuting the [sect] of the Mu'tazilah and its 'scholars.' He authored books in clarification and refutation of the Jahmiyyah and the Mu'tazilah." [From Abu Khadeejah's article "Abul-Hasan al-Ash'aree (d. 324) meets Imaam al-Barbahaaree (d. 329)"]

If their tawbah is truthful and sincere, they'll understand and embrace this, and recognize this as a means of protecting the Muslims and seeking after their safety, as well as his safety. Abul-Hasan Al-Ash'aree understood Imaam Barbaharee's reaction and wrote 55 books clarifying the truth, refuting his former beliefs and statements. Abul-Hasan - and others who likewise repented from bid'ah - did not want to meet Allaah on the Day of Judgement with these errors in 'aqeedah, and having misled others into these errors of 'aqeedah, and Allaah knows best.

Abu Khadeejah said: "This, my brothers and sisters, is the sincerity of the one who remains steadfast and patient, clarifying the errors that he was previously upon, seeking in that nothing except the Face of Allaah. So may Allaah have mercy upon Imaam Abul-Hasan al-Ash'aree - and we ask Allaah, the Most High, to keep us steadfast like the steadfastness of al-Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahimahullaah)!

Compare this to the way of many of the people of bid'ah and hizbiyyah today, who refuse to make tawbah, retract, correct and make clear their abandonment of innovations and hizbiyyah out of fear that they may 'lose face' in front of the people, or that they may lose status or wealth! They remain obstinate upon their misguidance, sometimes even claiming (falsely): 'I want to make tawbah but they will not accept me!' This type of speech shows that the desire of this person is not to please Allaah, but to make a show in front of the masses! May Allaah protect us from the evil of our own souls.

Then compare that to the case of al-Ash'aree (rahimahullaah), who made clear his tawbah, then wrote his clarification and refuted what he was upon previously and made all of that public - seeking in that nothing except the Face of Allaah, and Allaah knows best. People who know they have done wrong and have been upon hizbiyyah and bid'ah should repent. And they need not fear except their Lord, the Most High, and the Day of Resurrection when they will questioned about their misdeeds and their misguided ways! Look at the example of Abul-Hasan al-Ash'aree:

Imaam adh-Dhahabee (d. 748H) stated (vol.15/ p.89): It reached us that Abul-Hasan [al-Ash'aree] repented and ascended the minbar in Basrah and said: 'I used to say: the Qur`aan is created, and that Allaah will not be seen with the eyes, that evil is from my actions [alone] and not from Qadr - verily I am repentant, firmly believing in the refutation upon the Mu'tazilah.' [End of Imaam Adh-Dhahabee's statement]

Look, my brothers and sisters, how Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic, raised this Imaam in rank due to his retraction, that over a thousand years after his death, the people of Sunnah make mention of this Scholar with good, seeking the Mercy of Allaah for him! And look at the example of the one who was obstinate and haughty and refused to repent and return to the truth: Bishr al-Mareesee the Mu'tazilee. Look how Allaah, the Most High, debased him and over one thousand years later, Ahlus-Sunnah speak ill of him and lower his station, so much so that Ahlus-Sunnah see loving him as a clear sign of one's deviation." [From Abu Khadeejah's article "Abul-Hasan al-Ash'aree (d. 324) meets Imaam al-Barbahaaree (d. 329)"]

Note:
    [1] Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa`, Vol. 15, page 90.
    Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.