Its time to study! A beneficial Salafi Program.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
    الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله و على آله وصحبه ومن اتبع هداه
    أما بعد:

In this series of articles I will be going through the book ‘Barnaamaj Ilmi Muqtarah Liman Samat Himmatuhu li Talab al-Ilm’ (‘A Proposed Study Program for the One who is Aspiring to Seek Knowledge’) by Shaikh Aboo Umar Usaamah Al-Utaibi.

The aim here is to help our brothers and sisters to find a format for studying using the Shaikh’s program.

The program is in Arabic, but I decided to go through it because many people are in the middle of studying Arabic and need a guide of what to read and study according to levels. Also, I hope it will be an encouragement for others to start to learn Arabic.

It also can be used as a book list to help them to start an Islamic library in the home. I will add pictures and notes about each book to make it easy to find them.

Some of the materials are available in English or are being taught in the Salafi masaajid and centers of the west. It is better, if you can to attend the live classes of these books being taught, or on the net, or by recorded audio.

I chose this program because the Shaikh is well known from the students of knowledge resident in Al-Madinah and his program has been recommended by Shaikh Ghudayaan, Shaikh Rabee, and Shaikh Ubaid.

On the 2011 Umrah trip organised by Abu Khadijah and Abu Maryam, I asked Shaikh Ubaid whether it was a good idea to distribute the book ‘Barnaamaj Ilmi’ amongst the pilgrims who were attending the lessons as part of the Umrah package. He said to do so.

I remember one or some of the scholars in Dar al-Iftaa, I think Shaikh Ghudayaan, rahimullaah, said he would teach his children using this program.

Shaikh Usaamah was a 3rd year student when I was in my 1st year in the College of Hadeeth [1995-96]. He used to sell books from the boot [trunk] of his old Toyota or Nissan outside the college building after school. I remember buying books from him due to his recommendations.

He said by selling books his knowledge of books increased. We all enjoyed buying from him and I benefitted just by standing by his car, as he explained to every buyer the merits of that book and its print. Better than any bookshop! Mashallah, good prices too.

He was a good role model for us and I hope his Program will be beneficial for all us Salafis in the West. I hope that everyone will start to study and in particular to read more. We all should have libraries at home and purchase all the English books that are published by the Salafi Publishers and other recommended titles. It also will be a support for them and something beneficial to leave our children.

So I will go through book starting with the Introduction on this thread. Then inshallah, each subject will have its own thread, notes and discussion.

It is a reading program and my intention is to go through it so that you have;

1] A list to follow to start your library and then knowing which category they fall under, so you can put them in order.

2) A reading and studying program; put in to levels to be taken step by step. Remember Islamic knowledge is aquired slowly; step by step.

3) Notes on each book, so that you have a general idea what the book is about.

4) At the end you will have general idea of what is contained in the branches of Islamic knowledge.

Shaikh Usaamah starts of the book by mentioning the proofs for the merits of knowledge. It’s learning and teaching. Then he gives advice for those attending lectures and intending to study.

He encourages reading, memorising and taking notes. Reading SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. Repeat important points. As if you have memorised the sentence or point. Then make sure you understand that sentence before you move on. When you gather with friends, talk about what you read and exchange knowledge. Anything which is not clear, make a note and ask someone who has knowledge.

My advice is when you have learnt sufficient Arabic, then make contact with scholars. Firstly try to visit them and make a relationship with one or two, whatever is easy. So when you are back in the UK you have someone to call when you have an issue, or when you need advice. Build your relationships and get closer to the people of knowledge.

Your daily program should ideally be at fixed times. About an hour is fine, preferbly after fajr and asr prayers. You should read the book well, understand and comprehend it well. Or read it again. Then move on to the next book.

The course is in 4 levels. Again don’t proceed to level two whilst forgetting most of level one. Each level is more difficult then the previous.

Islamic Knowledge is generaly divided into

1] STUDY OF THE QURAAN; ITS EXPLANATION [TAFSEER] & ITS SCIENCES
    2] STUDY OF HADITH; ITS EXPLANATION & ITS SCIENCES
    3] STUDY OF THE AQEEDAH [THE CREED] & THE SALAFI METHODOLOGY IN OPPOSING THE SECTS & INNOVATION
    4] STUDY OF HISTORY; EVENTS, LANDS, SEERAH & BIOGRAPHIES
    5] STUDY OF FIQH & ITS PRINCIPLES
    6] STUDY OF MANNERS, MORALS & WHAT LEADS TO AN UPRIGHT CHARACTER
    7] STUDY OF THE ARABIC LANGUAGE; GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & ITS SCIENCES

As for the study/reading program, then Shaikh Usaamah suggests the following schedule;

Saturday - Aqeedah
    Sunday – Tafseer and its Sciences
    Monday – Fiqh, its principles and conditions
    Tuesday – Raqaaiq and Fawaaid [books on softening the heart]
    Wednesday – Hadith and its terminology
    Thursday – Seerah and History
    Friday – Tajweed and Grammar

Now on a new thread I will go through the materials for level one.