Weakness of the Hadeeth Allowing the Traveller to Pray Zuhr Before it's Time

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The Weakness of the Hadeeth Allowing a Traveller to Pray Dhuhr Before it's Appointed Time

(Taken from Ahaadeeth Mu'allah Dhaahiruhas-Sih-hah of the Imaam and Muhaddith, Shaykh Muqbil ibn Haadee al-Waadi'ee, rahimahullaah)

Aboo Daawood mentions in his Sunan: Musad-dad narrated to us that Aboo Mu'aawiyah narrated to him, from al-Mis-haaj ibnu Moosaa, who said: "I said to Anas ibnu Maalik (radiyallaahu 'anhu), "Narrate to us that which you heard from Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam)." So he replied:

When we used to be with Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) upon a journey we would say:

((Whether the sun has passed it's zenith[1] or not, pray Dhuhr and then continue your journey.))"

Said Shaykh Muqbil (rahimahullaah):

This Hadeeth at first appears to be authentic, however Ibn Hibbaan mentioned in 'al-Majroohoon', whilst giving the biography of al-Mis-haaj ibnu Moosaa that:

"He narrated one rejected Hadeeth regarding the traveller being allowed to pray Dhuhr before it's time has come in, and it is not permissible to use this Hadeeth as evidence.

For I heard Ahmad ibnu Husayn say that he heard Hasan ibnu 'Eesaa mention: "I said to 'Abdullaah ibnul-Mubaarak that Aboo Nu'aym has narrated to us a Hasan (good) Hadeeth, whereupon he asked me what it was.

So I said, "Aboo Nu'aym narrated to us from al-Mis-haaj, upon the authority of Anas ibnu Maalik, who said: "We were with Allaah's Messenger upon a journey when we stopped in a place, so we said:

((Whether the sun has passed it's zenith or not, pray Dhuhr and then move on.))

So Ibnul-Mubaarak said to me, "And what is Hasan (good) about this Hadeeth?! That I say the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) used to pray Dhuhr before the zenith and it's appointed time??"

[End of quote from Ibn Hibbaan]

Shaykh Muqbil further mentions:

"This speech of Ibnul-Mubaarak that he used is that of non-acceptance/rejection, as in 'How can you pray Salaah before it's appointed time??'

_ _ _ _ _ _

[1] Trans. Note: The zenith (Arabic: Zawaal) is the highest point in the sky that the sun reaches before gradually making it's way back down. The time for Dhuhr begins once the Sun has passed through it's zenith.

- Translated by Abul-Husayn Yusuf McNulty al-Irlandee from the aforementioned book, page 55-56, Daarul-Aathaar.