Saying "wa antum jazaakum Allaahu khayran" as a response to "Jazaak Allaahu khayran" [?]

After reading this thread:

http://www.salafitalk.net/st/viewmes...m=16&Topic=748

Someone asks: But i have read somewhere that once The Prophet Sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam replied to someone with "wa antum fajazakum Allahu khairan''

and i do the same from so long? is this haeedth authentic?

Take your knowledge from the scholars, not Yahoo! Answers or unqualified or unknown writers on message boards.

I read Shaykh Al-Albaanee's discussion of the hadeeth (Saheehah #3096), which includes detailed mention of the defects of the hadeeth, and its not clear to me that the hadeeth is even acceptable. Nor did he say anything about this being a legislated response to "jazaak Allaahu khayran".

Secondly, we don't take just any conversation that the Prophet sallallaahu alayhe wa sallam was engaged in and then derive legislated responses to phrases. If this hadeeth is authentic, then he responded with what he wanted to say at that time, not intending to legislate that wording as a fixed answer for "jazaak Allaahu khayran."

How do we know this? Well, we are Salafee. We simply look to the Companions, the Taabi'oon, and the imaams of the Salaf and the scholars of Islaam to see if anyone understood this. This is a foreign concept to me. I don't know of anyone who ever mentioned this. Nor did my shaykh, Muhammad Baazmool, when he answered a question on the topic.

In the age of databases, we cannot allow just anyone to search "jazaak Allaahu khayran" and start deriving rulings from any results that pop up!

Our scholars took the time to write books about the manners of speech, like Ibn Abee Shaybah, al-Bukhaaree, al-Bayhaqee, and other scholars of the Sunnah included a section on manners in their larger books of Sunnah. I don't know of anyone who ever said this. So I lean towards believing its just a result of the Shaamilah scholar era, or the "Shaykh Google" era, where people use databases who are not qualified to work with the evidences they find.

While ignorant people have electronic access to volumes of hadeeth sources, will we allow our Deen to be subject to whatever rulings they derive from hadeeth, even if it means creating new Sunnahs that our Salaf never heard of?! The concept is disastrous, and may Allaah protect us.

Be warned of saying something you have no Salaf for!

And Allaah knows best.
    Moosaa Richardson