Part 1 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions

Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions
    RadhiAllaahu anhum

Taken from the Book

‘The Narrations Mentioned by Imaams of the Sunnah in the Chapters of ‘Aqeedah from the Book
    ‘Siyaar ‘Alaam an-Nubala’

Researched By
    Jamaal bin Ahmad bin BasheeraBaadee

Translated by
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Introduction

Verily Allaah Azza wa Jal has praised the Companions of His Messenger -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- in many places in His noble Book. He has praised them with the best and most complete of characteristics. Allaah blessed them with His being pleased with them and with repentance. He informed them of what He has prepared for them of a generous reward and an eternally great recompense in Paradise.

Allaah said:
    وَالسَّابِقُونَ الْأَوَّلُونَ مِنَ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ وَالْأَنْصَارِ وَالَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوهُمْ بِإِحْسَانٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي تَحْتَهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ

<<And the first to embrace Islaam of the Muhâjirûn (those who migrated from Makkah to Al-Madinah) and the Ansaar (the citizens of Al-Madinah who helped and gave aid to the Muhâjirûn) and also those who followed them in Faith, Allaah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise) to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success.> >
    [Taubah:100]

Allaah said:
    لَقَدْ تَابَ اللَّهُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ وَالْمُهَاجِرِينَ وَالْأَنْصَارِ الَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوهُ فِي سَاعَةِ الْعُسْرَةِ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا كَادَ يَزِيغُ قُلُوبُ فَرِيقٍ مِنْهُمْ ثُمَّ تَابَ عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ إِنَّهُ بِهِمْ رَءُوفٌ رَحِيمٌ

<< Allaah has forgiven the Prophet, the Muhajirûn (Muslim emigrants who left their homes and came to Al-Madinah) and the Ansaar (Muslims of Al-Madinah) who followed him in the time of distress (Tabûk expedition, etc.), after the hearts of a party of them had nearly deviated (from the Right Path), but He accepted their repentance. Certainly, He is unto them full of Kindness, Most Merciful. >> [Taubah: 117]

Allaah said:
    مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ۚ وَالَّذِينَ مَعَهُ أَشِدَّاءُ عَلَى الْكُفَّارِ رُحَمَاءُ بَيْنَهُمْ ۖ تَرَاهُمْ رُكَّعًا سُجَّدًا يَبْتَغُونَ فَضْلًا مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرِضْوَانًا ۖ سِيمَاهُمْ فِي وُجُوهِهِمْ مِنْ أَثَرِ السُّجُودِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ مَثَلُهُمْ فِي التَّوْرَاةِ ۚ وَمَثَلُهُمْ فِي الْإِنْجِيلِ كَزَرْعٍ أَخْرَجَ شَطْأَهُ فَآزَرَهُ فَاسْتَغْلَظَ فَاسْتَوَىٰ عَلَىٰ سُوقِهِ يُعْجِبُ الزُّرَّاعَ لِيَغِيظَ بِهِمُ الْكُفَّارَ ۗ وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ مِنْهُمْ مَغْفِرَةً وَأَجْرًا عَظِيمًا

<<Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah and those who are with him are severe against disbelievers and merciful among themselves. You see them bowing and falling down prostrate (in prayer), seeking Bounty from Allaah and (His) Good Pleasure. The mark of them (i.e. of their Faith) is on their faces (foreheads) from the traces of (their) prostration (during prayers). This is their description in the Taurât (Torah) but their description in the Injeel (Gospel) is like a (sown) seed which sends forth its shoot, then makes it strong, then it becomes thick and stands straight on its stem, delighting the sowers that He may enrage the disbelievers with them. Allaah has promised those among them who believe and do righteous good deeds, forgiveness and a mighty reward (i.e. Paradise). >> [al-Fath: 29]

Allaah said:
    لَا يَسْتَوِي مِنْكُمْ مَنْ أَنْفَقَ مِنْ قَبْلِ الْفَتْحِ وَقَاتَلَ ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ أَعْظَمُ دَرَجَةً مِنَ الَّذِينَ أَنْفَقُوا مِنْ بَعْدُ وَقَاتَلُوا ۚ وَكُلًّا وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الْحُسْنَىٰ ۚ وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ

<< Not equal among you are those who spent and fought before the conquering (of Makkah) (with those among you who did so later). Such are higher in degree than those who spent and fought afterwards. But to all, Allaah has promised the best (reward). And Allaah is All-Aware of what you do. >>
    [al-Hadeed: 10]

Allaah said:
    لِلْفُقَرَاءِ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ الَّذِينَ أُخْرِجُوا مِنْ دِيَارِهِمْ وَأَمْوَالِهِمْ يَبْتَغُونَ فَضْلًا مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرِضْوَانًا وَيَنْصُرُونَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الصَّادِقُونَ ﴿﴾ وَالَّذِينَ تَبَوَّءُوا الدَّارَ وَالْإِيمَانَ مِنْ قَبْلِهِمْ يُحِبُّونَ مَنْ هَاجَرَ إِلَيْهِمْ وَلَا يَجِدُونَ فِي صُدُورِهِمْ حَاجَةً مِمَّا أُوتُوا وَيُؤْثِرُونَ عَلَىٰ أَنْفُسِهِمْ وَلَوْ كَانَ بِهِمْ خَصَاصَةٌ ۚ وَمَنْ يُوقَ شُحَّ نَفْسِهِ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ

<<(And there is also a share in this booty) for the poor emigrants, who were expelled from their homes and their property, seeking Bounties from Allaah and to please Him and helping Allaah (i.e. helping His religion) and His Messenger. Such are indeed the truthful (to what they say);-
    And those who, before them, had homes (in Al-Madinah) and had adopted the Faith, love those who emigrate to them and have no jealousy in their breasts for that which they have been given (from the booty of Banî An-Nadîr) and give them (emigrants) preference over themselves, even though they were in need of that. And whosoever is saved from his own covetousness, such are they who will be the successful.>>
    [al-Hashr:8-9]

Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah said, explaining the first Aayah:

‘Allaah made a share of what He mentioned and prepared for the Companions, of Him being pleased with them and Paradise for those who followed the Companions in goodness.’

He continues saying:

‘So whoever follows the first to embrace Islaam, then he is from them. They are the best of people after the Prophets. Indeed the Ummah of Muhammad is the best Ummah that came for the people and the Companions are the best of the Ummah of Muhammad.’

Then he derived from this principle an important issue, which is the obligation of following the Companions in what they were upon of knowledge, action and Deen for the one who wants success and salvation.

Shaykh-ul-Islaam said: ‘Due to this, knowing the statements of the Companions concerning knowledge, Deen and their actions, is better and more beneficial than knowing the statements and actions in all sciences of the Deen and its actions of those who came later such as in Tafseer, principles of the Deen and its branches, Zuhud, worship, manners, Jihad etc. This is because the Companions are better than those who came after them as the Book and the Sunnah indicate.

So following the Companions is better than following those after them.
    Having knowledge of their Ijmaa’ (consensus) and disputes about knowledge and Deen is better and more beneficial than having knowledge of what is mentioned of the Ijmaa’ and disputes of other than them. This is because their Ijmaa’ is nothing other than faultless and if they disputed, then the truth never escaped them.’
    ====
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Jeddah, KSA.

Part 2 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions

Part 2 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions
    Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions
    RadhiAllaahu anhum

Taken from the Book

‘The Narrations Mentioned by Imaams of the Sunnah in the Chapters of ‘Aqeedah from the Book

Researched By

Translated by
    Abbas Abu Yahya

The Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- testified to their goodness and excellence. He said in a hadeeth which is narrated of him by Abdullaah bin Mas’ood –RadhiAllaahu anhu:

" خَيْرُ النَّاسِ قَرْنِي, ثُمَّ الَّذِينَ يَلُونَهُمْ ، ثُمَّ الَّذِينَ يَلُونَهُمْ ، ثُمَّ الَّذِينَ يَلُونَهُمْ , ثُمَّ يَأْتِي قَوْمٌ تَسْبِقُ أَيْمَانُهُمْ شَهَادَتَهُمْ وَشَهَادَتُهُمْ أَيْمَانَهُمْ "

‘The best of the people are of my generation, then those who came after them, then those who came after them. Then there will come a people whose testimony will precede their oath and their making an oath is their testification.’

Imaam an-Nawawee -Rahimullaah- said:

‘The scholars are in agreement that the best generation is the Messenger’s -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- generation and the meaning here is the Companions.’

Ibn Hajr -Rahimullaah- said:

‘A generation is a people in one close period of time who participated in a matter from the matters of concern.’

He continues saying:

‘The meaning here of ‘the generation of the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam’ in this hadeeth is the Companions.’

The noble Companion Abdullaah bin Mas’ood –RadhiAllaahu anhu- has an amazing statement where he describes the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- saying:

إن الله نظر في قلوب العباد فوجد قلب محمد -صلى الله عليه وسلم- خير قلوب العباد فاصطفاه لنفسه فابتعثه برسالته ، ثم نظر في قلوب العباد بعد قلب محمد فوجد قلوبَ أصحابهِ خيرَ قلوبِ العبادِ فجعلهم وزراءَ نبيهِ يُقاتِلون على دينه

‘Indeed Allaah looked at the hearts of His slaves and He found the heart of Muhammad to be the best of the hearts of His slaves so He chose him for Himself and sent him with His Message. Then Allaah looked into the hearts of His worshippers after the heart of Muhammad -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- and He found that the hearts of Muhammad’s Companions were the best of the hearts of His worshippers, so He made them the ministers for His Prophet and they fought for His religion.’

Also, on the authority of Abdullaah bin Mas’ood –RadhiAllaahu anhu- who said:
    ‘Whoever from amongst you wants to follow, then he should follow the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- since their hearts were the most righteous in this Ummah, the deepest in knowledge, the most natural, the most correct in guidance and were in the best condition. The Companions were people whom Allaah chose to be with His Prophet and to establish His religion. So know their excellence and follow them in their footsteps, for indeed they were on the correct guidance.’

Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah have, during what has passed in history and time, in different places and countries, implemented the command of their Lord –Ta’ala- and the command of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- that they should honour and respect the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- with their hearts and their tongues.

Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah -Rahimullaah- says:

‘From the principles of Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah: is the honour and veneration in their hearts and on their tongues for the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- just as Allaah describes them in His saying:

وَالَّذِينَ جَاءُوا مِنْ بَعْدِهِمْ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لَنَا وَلِإِخْوَانِنَا الَّذِينَ سَبَقُونَا بِالْإِيمَانِ وَلَا تَجْعَلْ فِي قُلُوبِنَا غِلًّا لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا رَبَّنَا إِنَّكَ رَءُوفٌ رَحِيمٌ

<< And those who came after them say: ‘Our Lord! Forgive us and our brethren who have preceded us in Faith and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed. Our Lord! You are indeed full of kindness, Most Merciful.’>> [Hashr: 10]

Likewise, in obedience to the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- when he said:
    لا تسبوا أصحابي لا تسبوا أصحابي فوالذي نفسي بيده لو أن أحدكم أنفق مثل أحد ذهبا ما أدرك مد أحدهم ولا نصيفه

‘Do not curse my Companions. I swear by Him in Whose Hand is my soul, if one of you spent the like of mount Uhud in gold, you would not reach the equivalent of a Mudd (a certain weight) of one of the Companions, not even half a Mudd.’

Ahl-ul-Sunnah accept what is mentioned in the Book, the Sunnah and Ijmaa’ regarding their excellence and rank.’

The Rawafidah, Khawarij and Nawaasib opposed Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah in this issue; they did not keep to the bequest of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- regarding the rights of his Companions.

As for the Rawafidah, they brought the Bida’ of (text) that they claimed the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- stated about ‘Alee bin Abee Taalib –RadhiAllaahu anhu- with which they would not have an excuse to leave the Khilafah of ‘Alee, a statement that he was sinless and whosoever opposed him had committed disbelief. Then, as a consequence, they made Takfeer of all the Companions except very few in number. They claimed that the Companions hid these statements and changed the religion. The Rawafidah sought closeness to Allaah - as they claim - by cursing and reviling the Companions –RadhiAllaahu anhum. Abu Bakr and Umar –RadhiAllaahu anhumaa- received the most of their oppression and extreme lies.

As for the Khawarij, then they made Takfeer of ‘Uthmaan and ‘Alee and of those who followed them and they also made Takfeer of both groups who took part in the battle of Siffeen.

As for the Nawaasib, their evil belief led them to hate ‘Alee bin Abee Taalib –RadhiAllaahu anhu- and they belittled him. They exaggerated in this until they accused him of evil, oppression and that he wanted the Duniya. Then their condition and their hatred and enmity continued until they belittled the rest of Ahl ul Bayt (the family of the Prophet), especially al-Hassan bin ‘Alee–RadhiAllaahu anhu.
    ====
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Jeddah, KSA.

Part 3 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions

Part 3 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions
    RadhiAllaahu anhum

Taken from the Book

Researched By

Translated by
    Abbas Abu Yahya

ChapterAcceptance of Their Excellence & Noble Status, Not Belittling Them and Remaining Silent About the Disputes Between Them
    The Narrations:

1- Dhahabi said: ‘Sho’bah, on the authority of Mansoor bin Abdur Rahmaan, I heard Sha’bee say: I met 500 or more of the Companions who would say that ‘Alee, ‘Uthmaan, and az-Zubair are in Paradise.’

Dhahabi commented:

‘I say: because they are the ten who are promised Paradise. They are from those who participated in the battle of Badr and from the people who took the Allegiance of ar-Ridwaan from the first to embrace Islaam, about whom Allaah informs that He is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. Also, because four of them were killed and they were granted martyrdom, we love them and hate the four who killed these four.’

2- Dhahabi said: ‘Sa’eed bin AbdulAzeez, on the authority of Makhool: that the Companions used to say: The most merciful from amongst us is Abu Bakr, the most vocal from amongst us with the truth is Umar, the most trustworthy from amongst us is Abu Ubaydah and the most knowledgeable from amongst us about Haraam and Halaal is Mu’aadh. The best recitor from amongst us is Ubayy, the man who has knowledge is lbn Masood and Awaymir Abu Darda follows them with intellect.’

Dhahabi said: ‘Ibn Ishaq said: the Companions used to say: The one from us who used to follow knowledge and action the most is Abu Darda.’

3- Dhahabi said: ‘Qatada said: on the authority of Anas who said: Two tribes from the Ansaar became proud.

So al-Awaas said:
    From amongst us was one who was washed by the Angels: Hanzalah bin Rahib.
    And from amongst us was the one for whom the ‘Arsh shook: Saad.
    And from amongst us was he who was protected by the bees and hornets: Aasim bin Abee al-Aqlah.
    And from amongst us was he who was given martyrdom twice: Khuzaimah bin Thaabit.’

4- Dhahabi said: ‘Umar bin AbdulAzeez used to continuously visit UbaydAllaah bin AbdAllaah and he would take knowledge from him.
    It reached UbaydAllaah that Umar would belittle ‘Alee, so he went to see him and said to him: ‘When did it reach you that Allaah -Ta’ala- is angry with the Ahl-ul-Badr after He had been pleased with them.’
    Then he said: ‘He knew what I intended.’
    Then he said: ‘I apologise to Allaah and to you and I will not do it again.
    After that Umar was not heard mentioning ‘Alee –RadhiAllaahu anhu- except with good.’

5- 535- Dhahabi said: ‘Hamad bin Zaid: ‘Alee bin Zaid narrated to us that Sa’eed bin al Mussayib said to me: Tell your leader to stand up, then look at the face of this man and his body.’
    Then he stood up, came and he said: I saw that his face was black and his body was white.’
    Sa’eed said: ‘Verily this person cursed these people Talha, az-Zubair and ‘Alee –RadhiAllaahu anhum- so I prohibited him from doing so but he disobeyed, so I supplicated against him, I said if you are a liar then may Allaah make your face black. So when I left him his face had boils on it, then his face became black.’

6- (536) - Dhahabi said: ‘Baqeeyah bin al-Waleed said: al-Awza’ee said to me: O Baqeeyah! Do not mention anyone from the Companions of your Prophet except with good. O Baqeeyah! Knowledge is that which came from the Companions of Muhammad -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- and that which did not come from them, then that is not knowledge.’

7- (537) - Dhahabi said Jafar bin Muhammad ar-Ras’anee said that ‘Uthmaan bin Salih narrated to us that he said: The people of Misr would belittle ‘Uthmaan until al-Layth came among them and narrated to them his virtues, so they stopped belittling him.

The people of Hyms would belittle ‘Alee until Ismaeel ‘Ayaash came among them and narrated to them his virtues so they stopped belittling him.’

8- 538 - Dhahabi said: ‘Ahmad al-Ijaali said: Imaam Abu al-Ahwaas Salaam bin Sulaym al-Hanafi was a trustworthy companion of the Sunnah and would follow it. If his house would fill up with the companions of hadeeth, he would say to his son Ahwaas: ‘O my son stand up, whoever you see in my house who curses anyone of the Companions then kick him out. What would bring them to visit us?!’

9- 539 - Dhahabi said: ‘Bahlool bin Ishaaq said that Sa’eed bin Mansoor narrated to us that Shihaab bin Khurrash narrated to us that he said: ‘I met those of whom I met from the first people of this Ummah and they would say: ‘Make mention in your gatherings of the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- that which would cause the hearts to have affection for them. Do not mention the disputes which took place between them so as to gather the people against them.’

10- 540 - Dhahabi said: ‘Na’eem bin Hamad said I heard Ibn al-Mubarak say: The sword which fell between the Companions was fitnah, but I do not say about anyone of them that he was a fitnah maker.’

11- 541 - Dhahabi said: ‘Ahmad bin Abee Khaythaamah said: I heard Ibn Ma’een say: when ‘Alee bin al-Madeeni used to come to us he would make the Sunnah apparent to us and if he went to Basrah he would make apparent the excellence of ‘Alee bin Abee Taalib.’

Dhahabi comments on this narration saying: ‘I say: He used to make apparent the virtues of Imam ‘Alee in Basrah, because the people of Basrah used to favour ‘Uthman and had deviated away from ‘Alee.’

12- 542 - Dhahabi said: ‘On the authority Ibn Abee Maleekah, on the authority Ibn Abbas who said that Umar said: ‘Alee was the best in judging amongst us and Ubayy was best recitor of us.’

13- 543 - Dhahabi mentions the following in the biography of the Abbasid Khalifah Abul Abbas al-Qadir Billaah (died 422 A.H.): ‘al-Khateeb said: He was from the Deen, would be continuous in praying Tahhjud (night prayer) and give a lot in charity so much that he became famous for it. He also compiled a book in ‘al-Usool’ (Principles) and in it he mentioned the excellence of the Companions. He made Takfeer in this book, of those who say that the Quran is created.

That book used to be read every Friday in the gathering of the companions of al-hadeeth (Ashaab -ul-hadeeth) which the people used to attend in the duration of his Khilafah, which was forty years and three months.’

14- 545- Dhahabi said: ‘Abu Abdullaah al-Hakim said: our Shaykh as-Sabqee said: Imaam Malik took the virtues/characteristics of the Companions and Tabieen, Yahya bin Yahya at-Tameemi took it on the authority of Maalik, Muhammad bin Nasr al-Marwazi took it on the authority of Yahya and Abu ‘Alee ath-Thaqafi took it on the authority of Ibn Nasr.’
    ====
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Jeddah, KSA.

Part 4 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions

Part 4 - Some Narrations of the Imaams of Sunnah Concerning the Excellence of the Companions
    RadhiAllaahu anhum

Taken from the Book

Researched By

Translated by
    Abbas Abu Yahya

Comment by the Researcher:

From the ‘Aqeedah of Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah is that the Companions –RadhiAllaahu anhum- are all trustworthy. So do not ask about the trustworthiness of any one of them, since Allaah -Azza wa Jal- and His Messenger -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- have declared them to be righteous. It is sufficient for regarding anyone of them as righteous, that he is called a Companion.

Ibn Salah -Rahimullaah- says:

‘The Companions due to their completeness have a distinction, which is that you do not ask about the trustworthiness of anyone of them. Rather that is an issue which is settled, due to them (Companions) being completely trustworthy because of the texts of the Book and the Sunnah and the consensus of those from the Ummah whose consensus is held in regard.’

Ibn Katheer says:

‘According to the Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah all the Companions are trustworthy due to Allaah praising them in His noble Book and due to what the Prophetic Sunnah has decreed of praise for them in all of their manners and actions and what they sacrificed of their wealth and souls in front of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- desiring what is with Allaah from reward and a beautiful recompense.’
    Perhaps the acceptance of a person’s testimony and his narrations depends upon his stance towards the Companions.

Therefore, the one who belittles them or criticises them, then he criticises the Deen of Islaam and in reality he is more deserving of being criticised and belittled.

On the authority of AbdulMaalik bin AbdulHameed al-Maymoonee who said: Ahmad bin Hanbal said:

إذا رأيت رجلا يذكر أصحاب رسول الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم- بسوء فاتهمه على الإسلام

‘O Abul Hasan if you see a man mentioning anyone of the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- with evil then suspect his Islaam.’

Abu Zurah ar-Raazee -Rahimullaah- said:

‘If you see a man belittling anyone from the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- then know that he is a Zindeeq (heretic). That is because we believe that the Messenger -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- is true, the Qur’aan is true and those who conveyed this Qur’aan and the Sunnan to us were the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam. Rather what the heretics want to do is criticise our trustworthy narrators so they can nullify the Book and the Sunnah, they are more deserving of being criticised since they are the Zanadiqa (heretics).’

At this instance a great distinction becomes clear to us: what distinguishes Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah from other than them of the people of desires and Bida’ is that their hearts have honour and high regard for the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam-, knowing their rights, their value and their status, keeping their tongues secure from attacking or belittling them and remaining silent about the disputes between them.

So, they do not mention the Companions except with goodness. Ahl-ul-Sunnah make much Dua’ for them, seek forgiveness for them and say, ‘May Allaah be pleased with them,’ every time they are mentioned.

Imaam Isma’eel as-Saabooni -Rahimullaah- said when he mentioned the ‘Aqeedah of Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jamaah:

‘Ahl-ul -Sunnah believe in abstaining from the unrest which took place between the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam-and in purifying their tongues from mentioning anything which could include any deficiency or belittlement of them.

Ahl-ul-Sunnah believe in supplicating for mercy for all of them and loyalty to all of them. They also believe in honouring the virtue of the Prophet’s wives -RadhiAllaahu anhunna - making Dua’ for them, acknowledging their excellence and affirming that they are the Mothers of the believers.’

From the vilest of actions, the filthiest of them and the greatest of crimes is cursing the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- or cursing anyone of them.

On the authority of Ibn Abbas –RadhiAllaahu anhu- who said:

‘Do not curse the Companions of Muhammad, since Allaah -Azza wa Jal- commanded that you seek forgiveness for them, while He knew that they would fight each other.’

On the authority of Maymoon bin Mahraan who said:

‘There are three things that I reject: cursing the Companions of Muhammad -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- philosophizing in stars and philosophizing about Qadr (pre-destiny).’

On the authority of Ibn Umar –RadhiAllaahu anhu- who said:

‘Do not curse the Companions of Muhammad, indeed the status of one of them for an hour is better than the worship of one of you for forty years.’

Imam ash-Shawkaani mentioned the consensus (Ijmaa’) of Ahl-ul-Bayt –RadhiAllaahu anhum- (the family of the Prophet) on the prohibition of cursing the Companions –RadhiAllaahu anhum- with 12 different narrations.

Ibn Hajr al-Haythaamee -Rahimullaah- mentioned that many of the Scholars made Takfeer of those who curse the Companions –RadhiAllaahu anhum.

What it is necessary to bring to attention is that the scholars strove greatly in writing down what came from the prophetic hadeeth and Athaar as- Salafeeyah regarding the excellence of the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam.

All Praise belongs to Allaah, may His peace
    and blessings be upon our final
    Prophet Muhammad, his
    family, his companions
    and all those who
    follow his
    guidance.
    ====
    Abbas Abu Yahya
    Jeddah, KSA.