Question How do you know when a person is preaching upon the sunnah?

Assalamualykum warahmatullah,

We live in a time where there are many islamic ideologies, sects, groups etc and there are many events and gatherings held by them. There are gathering where people seem to be preaching upon what is in the sunnah and referring scholars like Sheikh ibn Taymiyyah and Sheikh bin Baaz but yet they are refuted (some are not but they are not upon the sunnah either). Due to the fact that sitting with the ahlul bidah is impermissible , how is one to know if someone who is the speaker of the event is upon the sunnah?

For example, i use to listen to a lecturer named Abu Mussab Wajdi Akkari who owns the website 'one way to paradise' until i heard that he may not be upon the sunnah or that he wasn't a good person to listen to because no one knows who he studied under. He seems to be someone who was upon the sunnah and someone who preaches it so someone who did not deeply research would not know to stay away from him. Al Maghrib institute I know is something people should stay away from, but many defend it saying that the people are from the sunnah because they graduated from Madinah university etc.

In general, i want to know, how do you know specific person is preaching what is correct? How do you know for sure that a masjid or gathering that you attend is really upon the sunnah? How do you know a specific website is giving the correct information about Islam?

Some people easily can sense when something is not right by observing but I know people would not be able to tell. How do i explain to them?

Jazakallahukhair

wa 'alaikumus-salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh brother,

BaarakAllaahu feek, a very important question indeed especially in these days where the speakers claiming to be upon the sunnah have become many.

Alhamdulillaah, below are two links to an audio lecture and an article - both by Shaykh Ahmad Baazmool, may Allaah preserve & reward him. In both, he discusses the importance of being careful of the person one studies the Deen from and mentions some ways to know about a person as well as some other very important issues/principles for the Salafi to know in his path of seeking knowledge. Inshaa'Allaah they should be of much help in answering your question.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
    "... That which is obligatory upon you, O student of knowledge, just as preceded, is to ask about the condition of this Shaykh and to be sure that he is Salafee. Also what is obligatory upon you in times of fitnah, is not to cling zealously to your Shaykh or whoever is upon opposite of what he sees, but rather you must keep quiet and look to the statements of the major Scholars. Now you find the youth dividing in every fitnah. What is the reason? The reason is them indulging in that which does not concern them and what they are not capable of, so they become divided, fight one another and then lose one another. However, if they remain quiet and stick to the major Scholars, by Allaah, the fitnah would be less. Also if they tread upon the manhaj of the Salaf, that the small students of knowledge tread behind the major Scholars, the fitnah would be less. ..."
    "سبحان الذي لا يشكر إلا بنعمة أخرى"
    [Related by Shaykh 'Abdur-Razaaq al-Badr (حفظه الله) in "فقه الأسماء الحسنى" from Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee (رحمه الله)]

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Dear Brothers,

I have found the below from salafitalk.net which is indeed very benifical in this particular matter.

---

Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah

Amma ba'd

Is there a criterion that a person can use to distinguish a true scholar from an imitator?

Question: There are several individuals these days who claim to possess knowledge and, because of this, people have become very confused in their religion. Is there a criterion that a person can use to distinguish a true scholar from an imitator? Please benefit us, may Allaah grant you much good.

Answer by Shaikh 'Abdul-Azeez bin Baaz (rahimahullaah) :

Quote:
    In the Name of Allaah, and all praise belongs to Him. The sign of a true scholar is clear; he is the individual who presents the Qur`an and the Sunnah as proofs. You become aware of his correctness by asking the people of knowledge who know him. Also, a person should investigate and ask the trustworthy people about him, in order to be safe that he is (actually) from the people of knowledge. The true scholar is furthermore known by his (correct) religion and uprightness, and his diligence in seeking verdicts, and by the proofs he presents.

He is also known by his actions in addition to the recommendations mentioned by those who know him. It is not befitting that a person takes this matter lightly and asks anybody; rather one should investigate, as it relates to his religion, and ask the trustworthy and reliable from amongst the people of knowledge in his country or in the country he travels to.

This should be done in order for him to be at ease, because he has asked the people of knowledge regarding this matter. (Al Fatawa, pg. 118)
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Translated by: Abu Isma'eel Mustafa George

Source: Clear Advice For Benefiting From Islaamic Lectures [Seminars, Conferences], lectured by Shaykh Salih bin 'Abdul-'Azeez Ala Shaykh (hafidhahullaah)

Subhanak Allaahuma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlaa illaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk

If I said anything correct, then it is from Allaah (subhanahu wa taa'ala), and if I erred, then that is from me and shaytan.

Source : http://www.salafitalk.net/st/viewmes...m=9&Topic=8232

---

Abu Mariyah