PDA

View Full Version : Fundamentals in the Manhaj of the Salaf, by Abu Hakeem Bilal Davis

Maher.ibn.Ahmad.Attiyeh
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
Amma-ba'd

Fundamentals in the Manhaj of the Salaf

__________________________________________________ _____________
Fundamentals in the Manhaj of the Salaf (Part 1) (http://ah-sp.com/2012/01/15/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-1/)

Excerpt:

Manhaj

The term 'Manhaj' (also minhaaj, translated Methodology) is the clear-cut path laid down for the Muslim, by way of which one understands all aspects of the religion and implements them, not in accordance with his own understanding, but in accordance with this pristine crystal clear methodology. Thus the methodology is a path that is followed in the implementation and understanding of all aspects of the religion, the framework by way of which we approach applying the deen.

Minhaaj in the Qur`an

Allaah, the Most High, mentions:

{ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنْكُمْ شِرْعَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا }

To each among you we have prescribed a law and a clear way (minhaaj) (Suratul Maa`idah, Vs 48)

Ibn Abbas – Radiyallahu 'anhumaa mentioned: "a Way and a path"

Here we see Allaah the Most High informs us that every nation was given a law and was given a clear path to follow. The manhaj of this Ummah is the Manhaj of its Salaf. [For more on the Manhaj of the Salaf, click here (http://ah-sp.com/2012/01/15/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-1/).]

Fundamentals in the Manhaj of the Salaf (Part 2) (http://ah-sp.com/2012/01/29/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-2/)

Excerpt:

Salaf in the Sunnah

No doubt from the clearest of the texts of the sunnah mentioning the term Salaf is an authentic hadeeth wherein the Prophet – Sallallahu 'Alaihi wa Sallam – referred to himself as a blessed salaf for his daughter and – it follows – [for] the rest of the Ummah in general. [When] The Messenger – Sallallahu 'alaihi was Sallam - was ill prior to him passing away, his daughter Fatimah – Radhiyallaahu 'anhaa – came to his bedside and the Messenger of Allaah whispered to her twice. When he did so in the first instance, she began to weep, then when he whispered on the second occasion she began to laugh. 'A`isha – Radiyallaahu 'anhaa asked her about that and Fatima refused to divulge the secret that the Messenger gave to her that brought about this weeping and laughter. After the death of the Messenger – Sallallaahu 'alahi Was Sallam - she informed her that now I will inform you so she said:
« أَنَّ جِبْرِيلَ كَانَ يُعَارِضُهُ الْقُرْآنَ فِى كُلِّ سَنَةٍ مَرَّةً وَإِنَّهُ عَارَضَهُ الآنَ مَرَّتَيْنِ وَإِنِّى لاَ أُرَى الأَجَلَ إِلاَّ قَدِ اقْتَرَبَ فَاتَّقِى اللَّهَ وَاصْبِرِى فَإِنَّهُ

«نِعْمَ السَّلَف أَنَا لَكِ »
The Messenger – Sallallaahu 'alaihi was Sallam – said: Indeed Jibreel used to listen to my recitation of the Qur`aan once a year, and he has now (i.e. this year) done so twice, and I do not see except that my appointed time is close, so fear Allaah and be patient for indeed I am a blessed 'Salaf' (Predecessor) for you." (Collected by Bukhaari (5928) and Muslim (2450))

She explained to her that this was what caused her to weep in the first instance and that the Messenger – Sallallaahu 'alaihi was Sallam - then informed her that she would be the leader of the female believers or the leader of women of this Ummah, and so she laughed.

Thus here we see the Messenger refering to himself as a 'Salaf', thus just as one refers to himself as 'Sunni' (follower of the Sunnah) the Muslim likewise refers to himself as 'Salafi' (follower of the Salaf) and what a blessed ascription! [For more on the terminology of the word Salaf, click here (http://ah-sp.com/2012/01/29/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-2/).]
Fundamentals in the Manhaj of the Salaf (Part 3) (http://ah-sp.com/2012/02/10/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-3/)

Excerpts:

Clinging to the way of the Salaf, was from the Manhaj of the Salaf!

A question that must arise when one calls to the way and methodology of the Salaf is:

'Was it from the manhaj of the Salaf..to call to the manhaj of the Salaf?'

Hopefully the following narrations will bring clarity to this issue.

Upon the Authority of 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood – Radiyallahu 'Anhu - who said:
"Indeed we follow (i.e. the prophet and those who preceded us) and we dont initiate, we imitate (i.e. the prophet and those who preceded us) and we dont innovate, and we will never go astray as long as we hold on to that which they have left." (Collected by Imaamud Daarimi in his 'Sunan/Musnad' (205) and Ibn Nasr in 'As Sunnah' (28) and At Tabaraani in 'Mu'jamul Kabeer' 8770)

Upon the Authority of Ubai Ibn Ka'b – Radiyallaahu 'Anhu - who said:
"Cling to the Path (The Sabeel) and the Sunnah for indeed there is no servant upon the path (sabeel) and the Sunnah who remembers Allah and his eyes shed tears due to fear of Allah, that will ever enter the fire. Certainly moderation upon the Sunnah and that which is good, is better than striving (hard) in opposition to the Path (Sabeel) and the Sunnah."(Collected by Al Lalakaa`ee (1/87) and Al Khateeb in 'Al Faqeeh wal Mutafaqih' (1/147))

Upon the authority of 'Uthmaan Ibn Haadhir Al Azdi – Rahimahullah - who said: I entered upon Ibn 'Abbaas – Radiyallaahu ‘anhumaa – and said "Advise me," so he said: "Remain Upright, Follow and do not Innovate, Follow the narrations of the first generation and do not innovate." (Collected by Ibn Nasr in ‘As Sunnah’ (29) and by Ibn Battah in ‘Al Ibaanatul Kubraa (157,158,200))

Muhammad ibn Seereen said: "They used to say, If a man is upon (following) the narrations (i.e. of the Salaf) then he is upon the path." (Collected by Ad Daarimi (140, 141) and Al Khalaal in ‘As Sunnah’ (1102))

Abul 'Aaliyah said: "Cling to the first affair that they (i.e the Salaf) were upon before they (the Muslims) began to split (i.e. into groups and sects)." (Collected by Abu Nu'aym in 'Al-Hilyah' (2/218) and Al Marwazi in 'As Sunnah' (26))

[For more on Clinging to The Way of The Salaf, click here (http://ah-sp.com/2012/02/10/fundamentals-in-the-manhaj-of-the-salaf-part-3/).]