PDA

View Full Version : Responding to the du'â of the Khatîb during the Friday Sermon

Yusuf.McNulty.al.Irlandee
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الحمد لله رب العالمين
و الصلاة و السلام على رسوله الأمين
أما بعد

Shaykh Muqbil bin Haadee, may Allaah have mercy on him and give him good in the next life, was asked:

Q: Is it permissible to say 'aameen' if the Khateeb makes du'aa during the Sermon or the Prayer (on Jumu'ah)?

A: The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa 'ala alihi wasallam) said:

(Whoever speaks on the Day of Jumu'ah whilst the Khateeb is giving the sermon,
then there is no Jumu'ah for him) [1] - or with this meaning.

Therefore it is not correct to speak nor make du'aa nor send salaah upon the Prophet nor say 'aameen' to a du'aa whilst the Khateeb is giving the khutbah/sermon.

This issue is one of differing, as has been mentioned in 'Naylul-Awtaar' (of Imaam ash-Shawkaanee), however what's apparent is that (this opinion) is most correct, even though some of the scholars say: Sending salaah upon the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa 'alaa aalihi wasallam) when he is mentioned (is obligatory) because (the Prophet) said:

(May a man's nose be rubbed in the dust,
that I am mentioned to him and he does not send salaah upon me) [2]

But do not say anything during the sermon, except to inform the Imaam of something due to an emergency or to respond to the Imaam if he addresses you out of necessity, because the evidences (for these situations) are specific to them only.

Translated by Abul-Husayn Yusuf McNulty al-Irlandee
Source: Qam'ul-Ma'aanid wa Zajrul-Haaqidil-Haasid
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
[1] (Translator's note): It's possible that the Shaykh is referring here to the hadeeth narrated by ibn 'Abbaas, that Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) said:

(Whoever speaks on Friday whilst the Imaam is giving the sermon,
then he is like a donkey who carries books, and he who tells him to be quiet has no Jumu'ah)

Reported by Imaam Ahmad in his Musnad and Ibn Hajr al-'Asqalaanee said in Buloogh, "There is no problem with it." However this particular narration was weakened by Sh al-Albaanee rahimahullaah. What is authentic is the hadeeth reported by al-Bukhaaree and Muslim with the wording:

(If you tell your companion to be quiet on the day of Jumu`ah, whilst the Imaam is giving the Khutbah, then you have engaged in false speech)

[2] (Translator's note): Reported by Imaam at-Tirmidhee no. 3545 and authenticated by the noble Muhaddith, Sh al-Albaanee, rahimahullaah.

Yusuf.McNulty.al.Irlandee
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله
وبعد

I had previously translated some speech of Shaykh al-Albaanee from his footnotes to Subulus-Salaam of Imaam as-San'aanee regarding this ruling. Except that after some time I realised that al-Maktabatul-Ma'aarif (who have the copyrights to the Shaykh's books) print in the front of all of their books that it is not allowed for anyone to reproduce any part of the book in any form, including translation, unless you obtain a handwritten permission from the Maktabah themselves. After seeing this I decided to take the post down and would like to highlight this point to the other brothers and sisters who actively translate that they should pay attention to this and check any copyright issues before translating and posting on the Internet. Wa bil-llaahit-tawfeeq.

However Shaykh al-Albaanee confirms the position made by Shaykh Muqbil above and mentions that if telling someone to be quiet during the khutbah (which is considered enjoining the good and forbidding the evil) is not allowed, then the ruling of sending salaah upon the Messenger, responding the peoples salaam, etc, should all be the same (i.e. it's not allowed whilst the khutbah is being delivered).

Wal-Hamdu lil-llaahi Rabbil-'Aalameen.