PDA

View Full Version : Sawm (Fasting) during Rajab and Sha'ban

Dardan.Cocaj
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Sawm during Rajab and Sha‘ban

http://www.alifta.com/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=346&PageNo=1&BookID=10

The third question of Fatwa no. 5169

Q 3: I know people who always perform Sawm (Fast) in Rajab and Sha‘ban and connect them to Ramadan without breaking fast. Is there any Hadith regarding this practice? If there is any, kindly provide the text?

(Part No. 2; Page No. 510)

A: It is not authentically reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) or any of the Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet, may Allah be pleased with them) used to fast the entire month of Rajab or Sha‘ban. It is not authentically reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) observed Sawm for a complete month except Ramadan. It was authentically reported that ‘Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) used to observe Sawm until we thought that he would always fast, and he would stop fasting until we thought he would not fast. I never saw the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) fast any month in full apart from Ramadan, and I never saw him fasting in any month more than in Sha‘ban. (Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim) Moreover, Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them) reported saying: The Prophet (peace be upon him) never fasted any month in full apart from Ramadan, and he used to fast until one would say, ‘By Allah, he will always fast,’ and he would stop fasting until one would say, ‘By Allah, he will not fast.’ (Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim) Based on this, fasting the entire months of Rajab and Sha‘ban voluntarily goes against the conduct and Sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Moreover, this act counts as Bid‘ah (innovation in religion); the Prophet (peace be upon him) is reported to have said: Anyone who introduces anything into this matter of ours (Islam) that is not part of it will have it rejected. (Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings of Allah be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

Member Member Deputy Chairman Chairman
`Abdullah ibn Qa`ud `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz