PDA

View Full Version : Pearls from the Predecessors Min Durar Al-Salaf

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
As our beloved messenger Sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam would mention in khutbah al haajah "The best of speech is the speech of Allah and the best guidance is that of Muhammad sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam". This is known to the people of the sunnah and it is in fact that which distinguishes them from those who have deviated. And thus we find that the pure spring of revelation has been given the utmost concern by the scholars and common people amongst the people of the sunnah the ghurabaa. To the extent that their speech and action is infused and perfumed with the wisdom that emenates from revalation as the noble scholar Abu 'Uthmaan Al-Naysaabooree stated

وقال أبو عثمان النيسابوري: (من أمر السنة على نفسه قولاً وفعلاً نطق بالحكمة، ومن أمر الهوى على نفسه قولاً وفعلاً نطق بالبدعة؛ لأن الله تعالى يقول في كلامه : وَإِن تُطِيعُوهُ تَهْتَدُوا [ النــور: 54])

"whoever has put the Sunnah in a position of authority over his own self in statement and action will utter wisdom, and whoever has put desires in authority over himself in statement and action will utter innovation; as Allaah has stated in his eternal speech {...And if you obey Him you will be guided}"

So here presented to my brothers and sisters in Islaam who Love the Sunnah and its people are statements from those scholars who due to their knowledge and love of the Sunnah have uttered gems that eminate from the meanings found in the Qur'aan and Sunnah.

I encourage anyone who wishes to participate to join in in collecting these pearls here in an attempt to busy our time with that which will benefit us in this life and the next.

p.s. In that my spelling and style are anything but flawless I would appreciate anyone who is knowledgable of proper English grammar and style to correct any of my mistakes

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-01-2011, 08:53 PM
قال ابن المبارك: " رُبّ عمل صغير تُكثّره النية ورُبّ عمل كثير تصغره النية ".
(8/400)

Al-dhahabee reports in the 'siyar' than Ibn Al-mubaarak stated " How many deeds few in number have become many by way of the niyyah (intention) and how many deeds great in number have been made insignificant due to a (faulty) intention".

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-03-2011, 07:14 AM
قال ابن رجب :" ما ينظر المرائي إلى الخلق في عمله إلا لجهله بعظمة الخالق .
كلمة الإخلاص ص31

Ibn Rajab states "The one who commits riyaa doesn't look to the creation in his deeds except due to his ignorance of The Creator's greatness". [kalimatu l-Ikhlaas pg30]

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-04-2011, 05:05 AM
- قال ابن تيميه : " ماجزيت من عصى الله فيك بمثل أن تطيع الله فيه " .
الفتاوى (1/ 245)

- وقال: " إذا حسُنت السرائر أصلح الله الظواهر" .
(3/277)

Ibn Taymiyyah has stated " You can't reward one who has disobeyed Allaah as regards your rights with anything better than to obey Allaah in respect to him".
He also has stated " If ones saraa'ir (actions that are hidden from the view of the people) become good then Allaah will rectify his Dhawaahir (apparent reality)".

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-15-2011, 01:12 AM
I invite anyone who may be able to add on to these pearls any other beautiful statements of the salaf to do so as to keep this thread productive and a means of approach to Allaah!

Abu.Abdurrahman.Erol
08-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Two great statements concerning knowledge:

Abdullah ibn 'Abbaas said:

"Studying knowledge a portion of the night is more beloved to me than spending a portion of it in worship."
(Musanaf Abdur Razzaq 11/253)

Imam az-Zuhri said:

"Allah is not worshipped with anything greater than knowledge."
(Al Bidayah wal Nihayah 9/345)

Abu.Abdurrahman.Erol
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Two great statements concerning 'Ulamaa:

Sufyaan ath-Thawree said:

"The scholars are similar to rain, wherever they fall, they benefit."
(Jam'ee Bayaan al 'Ilm wa Fadlihee 1/56)

Hasan al-Basri said:

"If there were no scholars, people would become like animals."
(Muktsir Minhaaj Al Qasideen pg. 17)

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
قال الأوزعي:" كنا نمزح ونضحك فلما صرنا يقتدى بنا , خشيت ألا يسعنا التبسم ".
السير(7/132)

Al-Imaam Al-Awzaa'ee said " we used to joke and laugh but when people began to immitate us, I feared to even smile".
(Al-siyar 7/132)

Umm.Sufyaan.Fatimah
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Ibn Shawdhab said:

“Verily, it is from the bounty of Allaah upon a youth that when he devotes himself to worship, he befriends a person of the Sunnah who carries him upon it.”

Al-Laalikaa’ee in Sharh Usool ul-I’tiqaad (no.30)

S.bint.Ahmed
08-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Ibn al-Qayyim (rahimah Ullah) said:

Ikhlas is the tawheed of one's intent.

The Book of Sincerity Pg 110

One of them wrote to his brother:

Make your intention sincere in all of your actions and little action will suffice you.

(ibid pg 106)

One of them said:

Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, his sincerity is itself in need of sincerity. The destruction of every sincere person lies in his sincerity.(He is destroyed) to the extent that he sees sincerity in himself. When he abandons seeing sincerity in himself, he will be sincere and purified.

(ibid pg 107)

Abu.Zuhayrah.Abdullaah
08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
عبدالله بن خبيق قال: قال رجل لابن المبارك: أوصني. فقال: اعرف قدرك.

Abdullaah ibn Khabeeq (or perhaps Khubaiq?) said:

" A man said to Ibnul-Mubaarak " council me!" so he said: know your level/worth!"

Maher.ibn.Ahmad.Attiyeh
10-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Yahya Bin Ammaar Explains the Five Types of Knowledge (Which Constitute) Life, Nourishment, Medicine, Disease, and Destruction
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011
Yahyaa bin Ammaar (http://www.asharis.com/creed/?nacxo) (d. 422H) said:

العلوم خمسة علم هو حياة الدين وهو علم التوحيد وعلم هو قوت الدين وهو العظة والذكر وعلم هو دواء الدين وهو الفقه وعلم هو داء الدين وهو أخبار ما وقع بين السلف وعلم هو هلاك الدين وهو الكلام

http://www.salaf.com/s/images/quote-start.gifTypes of knowledge are five: Knowledge which is the life of the religion, that is the knowledge of Tawhid. And knowledge which is the nourishment of the religion, that is admonition and remembrance. And knowledge which is the (medicinal)treatment of the religion and that is fiqh (knowledge of rulings with their proofs). And knowledge which is the disease of the religion, and that is (the) reports about what occurred between the Salaf (the Companions). And a knowledge which is the destruction of the religion and that is kalaam (http://www.asharis.com/creed/?wlodz).
Al-Siyar of al-Dhahabi (17/482).

Umm.Sufyaan.Fatimah
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah said:

The foundation of righteousness is Tawheed and Eemaan (faith) and the foundation of corruption is Shirk and Kufr (disbelief).

~ Al-Fataawa, 15

Translated by:
Umm Sufyaan Fatimah

S.bint.Ahmed
10-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Shaikh Muhammed Ramzaan Hajiri (Hafidhah Ullaah)
[26 Dhul Qadah 1432 / 24.10/11] during a lesson (on wiziq.islaam.ae) explaining
Usool us Sunnah By Imaam Ahmed (rahima ullah)

The Importance of Patience in the Sunnah

]" Sixty years under an oppressive ruler is better than one night without a ruler."