PDA

View Full Version : Ramadaan Q&A Session by Shaykh Abdullaah Al-Ghudyaan (rahimahullaah)

Maher.ibn.Ahmad.Attiyeh
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Ramadaan Q&A Session

by Shaykh Abdullaah Al-Ghudyaan Delivered on Saturday 30th August, 2008

Shaykh al-Ghudyaan began with the basmallaah and by sending salaah and salaam on the most noble of Prophets, our Messenger Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم, his family and all his Companions. He then extended salaams to everyone and began.

THE LEGISLATION OF FASTING AND THE GREATNESS OF THIS BLESSED MONTH

The Shaykh حفظه الله began by quoting the statement of Allaah جل وعلا:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

{O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious).} [Al-Baqarah 2:183]

And Allaah جل وعلا says:

شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ الَّذِيَ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ الْقُرْآنُ

{The month of Ramadaan in which was revealed the Qur’aan...} [Al-Baqarah 2:185]

And He سبحانه وتعالى also says:

إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ

{Indeed we sent it down in the night of power.} [al-Qadr 97:1]

And there are other adillah (evidences) which indicate the virtues of this month of Ramadaan.

SELF-ASSESSMENT AT THE START OF RAMADAAN

Upon greeting the month of Ramadaan an individual must return to his own self and search it for what it has sent forth concerning abiding by what Allaah سبحانه وتعالى has obligated and staying away from the prohibitions.

If his condition was good such that he was abiding by what Allaah سبحانه وتعالى ordained and abstaining from what Allaah سبحانه وتعالى prohibited, then he praises Allaah سبحانه وتعالى and shows gratitude to his Rabb (Lord) for this tawfeeq (granting him this success).

If however, he had some shortcomings (تقصير – taqseer) such that he left off a waajib (obligation) or did what Allaah سبحانه وتعالى prohibited him from, then he must return to Allaah سبحانه وتعالى in repentance. He must make tawbah (seek forgiveness from Allaah سبحانه وتعالى) for what he did in the past and he must abandon the sin and have firm conviction that he will not return to that sin, and he must regret what he did concerning that sin; this is if the sin was related to the rights of Allaah جل وعلا.

However, if the sins were related to the rights of mankind, then

· If he is able to return the right to its owner he should do so.
· If he is unable to, then he should seek his companion’s forgiveness so that he forgives him for the sin.
· If it is with respect to a monetary right and he is unable to return the wealth to its owner, then he should give that wealth in sadaqah with the intention that he is doing this using the wealth of the owner (i.e. he gives sadaqah on the owner’s behalf).
· If he had spoken about the reputation of someone by criticizing him, then he should also give in sadaqah on his behalf and supplicate for him.

HOW SHOULD ONE GREET AND LIVE THIS BLESSED MONTH

It is required that an individual greets Ramadaan and does in it what is related to it from siyaam (fasting), qiyaam (the night prayer) and recitation of the Qur’aan; for indeed an obligation in Ramadaan is equal to seventy (70) obligations (in reward) in other than Ramadaan.

It is upon the individual to turn to his Lord with his heart as well as his limbs. If he is able to give from his wealth in sadaqah (charity) for himself then let him do this, and if he can give in charity on behalf of his Muslim relatives who have passed away, e.g. his father, his mother, his brother, his sister or other than them from his relatives etc. then he should do so.

AVOID THE PROHIBITIONS

During this month one should also shun all the munkaraaat (المنكرات – evil things) and he should preserve all the obligations which Allaah (جل وعلا) has obligated upon him.

If the individual were to be the cause of insults occurring between him and another person, he should reply to him by saying “إني صائم” – “Indeed I am fasting.” When one fasts his hearing should fast from listening to the things which are prohibited (i.e. he should not listen to the things which Allaah سبحانه وتعالى has prohibited) and his sight should fast from looking at the prohibited things and his private parts should fast from anything which Allaah سبحانه وتعالى has prohibited, even with his wife (until he breaks his fast). Indeed sexual relations during Ramadaan (whilst fasting) necessitates that one frees a slave and if he cannot do so then he is required to fast two consecutive months and if he is unable to do so then he must feed sixty (60) poor people. His stomach should fast from eating whatever is prohibited by Allaah سبحانه وتعالى whether the prohibition was from its basis or because of a certain characteristic which it contains and it is upon him to be truthful to Allaah جل وعلا in this blessed month.

PRESERVE THE NIGHT PRAYER

Likewise, it is upon the individual to preserve the qiyaam (the night prayer) as the angel Jibreel عليه السلام came to the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم and said to him: “Destroyed indeed is he who witnessed the month of Ramadaan and was not forgiven, say Aameen; so I said Aameen”[1]

A Muslim should be keen and eager to do that which leads one to attain the Pleasure of Allaah سبحانه وتعالى in order that he may be forgiven on the last night of Ramadaan.

RECITE AND REFLECT UPON THE QUR’AAN

He should also be eager to recite the Qur’aan and if it is easy upon him he should also ponder over the meanings of the Qur’aan (during recitation) for indeed this is only an increase upon the goodness which one will attain as Allaah سبحانه وتعالى says:

أَفَلاَ يَتَدَبَّرُونَ الْقُرْآنَ

{Do they not ponder over the Qur’aan} [An-Nisaa’ 4:82]

If he is able to do so, he should recite with tarteel (ترتيل – proper recitation and intonation) for indeed observing tarteel aids one in reflecting and contemplating on the meanings of the Qur’aan.

INCREASE THE NAWAAFIL

Likewise he should be keen on practicing a lot of the nawaafil (نوافل – supererogatory actions) such as praying the salaatudh-Dhuhaa and similarly, if he is able to, praying between salaatudh-Dhuhr and salaatul-’Asr and praying between salaatul-Maghrib and the ‘Ishaa prayer while being consistent upon praying Taraaweeh as well as praying Tahajjud in the last ten days of Ramadaan.

SEEK LAYLATUL-QADR

This month (of Ramadaan) contains a night which is better than a thousand (1,000) months i.e. an act of worship in this [night] is better than the same act of worship done over a period of a thousand months. This night is in the last ten (10) nights of Ramadaan and it is in the odd nights (الأوتار) of Ramadaan i.e. the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th night of Ramadaan. The person must be eager to search for this night and to perform a lot of worship and a lot of righteous deeds in it; he should be keen on doing abundant good deeds.

These brief words are a concise reminder and now we would take questions. (The Shaykh then gave salaams closing off the session dealing with the naseehah on welcoming Ramadaan.)

Questions & Answers

1. Question: Sometimes the children don’t listen or obey you and you have to raise your voice at them, so too when teaching them to fast and to not argue with each other. Does it break your fast to raise your voice at your children in order to get them to behave?

Answer: Concerning the issue of a child raising his voice toward his parent whether his mother or father, then the ruling differs as it may pertain to something which is prohibited or something which is legislated. However, the basis is that the child raising his voice towards his parents is not legislated. Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) said:

وَقَضَى رَبُّكَ أَلاَّ تَعْبُدُواْ إِلاَّ إِيَّاهُ وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَاناً إِمَّا يَبْلُغَنَّ عِندَكَ الْكِبَرَ أَحَدُهُمَا أَوْ كِلاَهُمَا فَلاَ تَقُل لَّهُمَا أُفٍّ وَلاَ تَنْهَرْهُمَا وَقُل لَّهُمَا قَوْلاً كَرِيماً

{23} وَاخْفِضْ لَهُمَا جَنَاحَ الذُّلِّ مِنَ الرَّحْمَةِ وَقُل رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيراً

{And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour. And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: “My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.”} [Al-Israa’ 17:23-24]

It is established that the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “May Allaah have mercy on a parent who aids his child in becoming beneficent towards them”[2] So it is not befitting for a father to raise his voice towards his son in something which is prohibited; this is not permissible. A son adorns himself with the manners of his father so the father should be a good example for his son. He should be a good example regarding his character, his speech, his actions and his staying away from anything which is prohibited or not good, and practicing everything which is legislated or good. For example, we see some individuals praying in their homes and forsaking the salaah in jamaa’ah (congregation). The son would adopt these characteristics from his father and implement them in his own life such that he would pray at home and forsake the jamaa’ah, following the example set by his father.

2. Question: There is a sister whose mother is old such that she does not fast many of the days of Ramadaan due to certain illnesses. She does not always remember to inform her daughter about the missing days. How can the daughter go about feeding people on her behalf as expiation without this knowledge?

Answer: If the mother missed some days in Ramadaan, or she passed away, or she is alive but unable to fast the present Ramadaan, and she is unable to make up the days that she missed during the past Ramadaan, then she has to give in charity for every day she missed by feeding a miskeen (poor person); this is from one angle.

In addition, concerning the delay in making up the missed fast which must be made up before the next Ramadaan comes; e.g. if she missed some days in the Ramadaan of 1428AH then she must make them up before the Ramadaan of 1429AH; if she delayed in making up these missed fasts while she had the ability to make them up, then in order to compensate for this delay she must give 1.5kg in sadaqah (charity).

Hence, if it is a combination of the two i.e. she has to give in sadaqah for making up the missed fasts and additionally for delaying in making up the fasts, then she must give 3.0kg in sadaqah for each day missed.

3. Question: In some of the masaajid here in America, an imaam may pray salaatul-Witr with two (2) tashahhud like salaatul-Maghrib, as has been reported in the Hanafi madhab. Is there any daleel (evidence) for this and is it okay for me to follow the imaam if he prays in this manner?

Answer: The Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “Pray as you see me praying.”[3]. The description of the Witr salaah performed by the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم as authentically narrated, is that an individual:

· prays witr with one (1) rak’ah and one (1) salaam,
· or he prays witr with three (3) raka’aat, one (1) salaam and one (1) sitting,
· or he prays witr with five (5) without sitting except in the last rak’ah,
· or he prays witr with seven (7) and sits in the last rak’ah,
· or he prays witr with nine (9) and sits in the last rak’ah.

As for having two tashahhud as practiced in salaatul-Maghrib, then I do not know of the basis for this in the Legislation of Islaam. An individual must take the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم as an example as I stated at the beginning of this response as he صلى الله عليه وسلم said “Pray as you see me praying.”[3]

The moderator then asked a follow-up question:

Can a person Witr pray behind the imaam if the imaam is always praying like this? Will this person get the reward of praying the whole night?

The Shaykh حفظه الله answered:

If the Witr is the only thing remaining (i.e. all the other salaah has been completed) and the imaam prays it in this manner (resembling Maghrib with two (2) tashahhud), then the individual should separate himself from the imaam and pray the Witr on his own.

As for getting the reward of the whole night then it is hoped that he will get this reward as he only left the prayer due to a legislated reason.

4. Question: What is the authenticity of the du’aa at the time of iftaar (breaking the fast): Allaahumma laka sumtu wa ‘alaika tawakkaltu wa ‘ala rizqika aftartu?

اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ صُمْتُ وَعَلَيْكَ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَعَلى رِزْقِكَ أفْطَرْتُ

Also, there are some people who make a du’aa in congregation after every four (4) raka’aat in salaatut-Taraaweeh. Is this from the Sunnah or not?

Answer: This du’aa at the time of iftaar is legislated except for the words “wa ‘alaika tawakkaltu” (و عليك توكلت). At the moment, I have no knowledge that the du’aa was mentioned with this wording for the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم used to say: “Allaahumma laka sumtu wa ‘ala rizqika aftartu fa taqabbal minnee innaka antas-Samee’ul-’Aleem” [4] or as he صلى الله عليه وسلم said.

As for the congregational du’aa in this masjid between every two (2) raka’aat (of salaatut-Taraaweeh), then this is not legislated and there is no basis for this action in the Legislation of Islaam. This is an innovation. The basis is that du’aa is permissible but in this specific place, in this specific way, this is not legislated and based on this the person will not be rewarded if he practices it. This is due to the saying of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم: “Adhere to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Khulafaa' after me, hold onto it with the molars, and beware of the newly-innovated matters; for indeed every newly-innovated matter is a bid’ah, and every bid’ah is a misguidance, and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.”[5] So this is an innovation and one who practices this receives sin and he does not receive any reward.

5. Question: I am one who missed a lot of fast during Ramadaan over the years due to being either pregnant or nursing. What do you advise me to do when I don’t remember how many days I missed? Do I fast to make up the days or do I feed as a means of making them up, or do I have to do both?

Answer: It is obligated upon her to make qadhaa i.e. make up the missed days and it is also obligated upon her to feed (as a kaffaarah – expiation) because she didn’t fast due to the pregnancy, and likewise if she didn’t fast due to breastfeeding the child. It is upon her to make up the missed day from one angle as well as to feed (as a kaffaarah) from another angle.

Additionally, if she delays the making up the missed days until the next Ramadaan came, then she also has another kaffaarah because of that delay.

6. Question: If one deals with teaching the Deen to many children who do not have much Islamic knowledge, nor are their families very practicing in the Deen, what should one focus on when teaching or advising these children during Ramadaan? The ages of the children can range from 4 years to 13 years.

Answer: The Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “Everyone of you is a herdsman and everyone of you is responsible for his flock… A man is a guardian of his family and responsible (for them); a woman is a guardian of her husband's house and she is responsible (for it), a slave is a guardian of his master's property and is responsible (for that). All of you are herdsmen and are responsible for your flock.”[6]

Allaah سبحانه وتعالى says:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا قُوا أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَهْلِيكُمْ نَاراً

{O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell)…} [at-Tahreem 66:6]

And the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “The pen has been raised from three…” i.e. they are not responsible, and he mentioned amongst them: “the child until he has attained the age of puberty.”[7] Regarding the male and the female, attaining the age of puberty occurs when:

1. they attain the age of 15 years
2. they start growing pubic hair
3. there is the passing of semen
4. and specific to the women: the onset of menses

These are the signs of puberty. So before the age of puberty, salaah, siyaam (fasting) etc. is not obligated on them - male or female. However, teaching them is legislated as the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “Order your children with salaah at the age of seven and discipline them for it at the age of ten and separate between them in their beds.”[8]

So the father should take his son to the masjid but only after the age of seven (7) as prior to this a child does not have an intention or the intention is not considered; only after the age of seven (7) will it be considered, so if after seven (7) the child intends the siyaam and the salaah only then will it be considered. Based on this, it is upon the parents to teach them the salaah – whether they are boys or girls; but if they cannot do so there is no problem for them or the whole neighborhood to bring a man to teach their sons and a woman to teach their daughters.

7. Question: Is it permissible to give money (as fidyah) to a Muslim Organization who feeds the poor Muslims in order to fulfill the obligation of (fidyah) feeding a poor person for each day one does not fast? There are little or no poor (miskeen) Muslims in our community which is very small.
Answer: What is obligated is to feed; paying the value of the food is not permissible. If he finds a poor person in his area he should give him the food and if he is unable to find a poor person in his immediate area then he should give the food to a poor wherever he finds him.

8. Question: If one missed a lot of fasts in Ramadaan due to times when he was not practicing much, or a women who did not know that she had to make up fasts lost due to menstruation and now she has reached age of 50 or so, is giving expiation (feeding people) and repentance enough or does one have to make up the missed days by fasting? Does the same ruling hold for salaah?

Answer: If a person leaves off fasting after it has been obligated upon him, or after puberty and I mentioned short while ago the signs of puberty, then if this person does not pray then there is no making up of anything for him i.e. no salaah and no siyaam must be made up (i.e. he is not obliged to make qadhaa of them). However, what is upon him is to make tawbah (repent to Allaah سبحانه وتعالى).

But if he prays and does not fast then he must make up all the missed days (of Ramadaan) and he must also give 1.5kg for each day missed due to the delay in making up the missed fast (which has past its due time of the following Ramadaan).

9. Question: With regards to a woman who missed many fasts during Ramadaan due to pregnancy and nursing, I have heard that there is a statement from Ibn Abbaas رضي الله عنه stating that a pregnant or nursing woman does not have to fast if she fears for herself or her child, they can pay the fidyah (feed a poor person for every day), and they do not have to make up the fast. This is from …

Answer: The Shaykh interjected saying that the statement that she only pays fidyah and does not have to make qadhaa (make up) is incorrect. If a woman fears for herself or fears for her child or fears for both herself and her child and she did not fast due to that, then there is no sin on her for not fasting at that time but she must make up the fasts and pay the kaffaarah (compensation) for the missed days.

10. Question: Regarding the permissibility of celebrating ‘Eed by playing duff and dancing, what are the limitations?

Answer: On the day of ‘Eed an individual should avoid all munkaraat (evil acts) since during Ramadaan he avoided the munkaraat (evil deeds). On the day of ‘Eed he should do likewise and enjoin all forms of good deeds such as being eager to give Zakaatul-Fitr before the salaah, then establishing the salaah and practicing everything which Allaah has legislated.

Concerning the duff for women, there is no harm in doing this as long as there is no fear that an evil may result from it. In many countries when people hear the women beating the duff the men come and this leads to free mixing and a lot of evil comes to pass due to this. However if one can ensure that there will be no kind of mafsadah (ill effect) then there is no harm in the women using the duff.

11. Question: Today many people celebrate ‘Eed by sending greeting cards and distributing presents to friends and family. Is this from the Sunnah or is there any harm in these practices?

Answer: As for Muslims greeting each other on such occasions then there is no problem in doing so. If one wants to give gifts on this occasion then likewise, this is from the permitted things. As for saying ‘it is a Sunnah’, then we cannot say this meaning by it that someone ‘should’ or ‘must’ practice it. Rather, it is something which is mubaah (permissible to do). As for the cards being sent, then whether the greetings are sent in the cards or spoken, then this is permitted.

12. Question: Some countries start off Ramadaan 1-2 days after Saudia depending on the decision of the local Research Committee or the local Masjid. Should a person from such country or society start fasting from the day that fasting started in Makkah or should he follow the decision of the people in authority in his locality, even though that might put him at risk with regards to fasting on ‘Eed day which is haraam, and also risk missing the blessed night of Qadr?

Answer: The answer is based on the ikhtilaaf (differing of opinion) amongst some of the Scholars – whether the sighting of the hilaal (crescent) is considered or not. However, I am going to delay this response until another session because the issue has been researched by some of the Scholars and it is not befitting for me to give a quick response as it has already been researched by a number of Scholars who have reached a conclusion concerning the issue. So I will delay this response until another time.

References & Notes

[1] Reference pending.

رغم أنف امرئ أدركه رمضان فلم يغفر له فل آمين فقلت آمين

[2] Shaykh al-Albaanee says this is Da’eef in Saheeh wa Da’eef al-Jaami’ as-Sagheer, (Hadeeth #3118).

رحم الله والدا أعان ولده على بره

[3] Reported in Mishkaatul-Masaabih, Vol. 1, Hadeeth (#683). Agreed-upon. al-Bukhaaree Hadeeth (#605, 5662, 6819)

صلوا كما رأيتموني أصلي

[4] Shaykh al-Albaanee رحمه الله says it is Da’eef in Da’eef al-Jaami’, Hadeeth (#4350).

اللهم لك صمت، وعلى رزقك أفطرت، فتقبل مني، إنك أنت السميع العليم

[5] In Silsilah as-Saheehah 6/526, Hadeeth (#2735) Shaykh al-Albaanee رحمه الله says is Saheeh.

فعليكم بسنتي وسنة الخلفاء الراشدين المهديين بعدي عضوا عليها بالنواجذ ( وإياكم ومحدثات الأمور فإن كل محدثة بدعة وكل بدعة ضلالة) ـ

And in Sunan at-Tirmidhee 3/188, Hadeeth (#1578) the following is part of a longer hadeeth which Shaykh al-Albaanee رحمه الله says is Saheeh.

وكل محدثة بدعة وكل بدعة ضلالة وكل ضلالة في النار

[6] Reported with many different wordings. Found in Saheeh al-Bukhaaree with the following wording in The Book of Marriage (كتاب النكاح), Hadeeth (#4892).

كلكم راع وكلكم مسؤول، فالإمام راع وهو مسؤول، والرجل راع على أهله وهو مسؤول، والمرأة راعية على بيت زوجها وهي مسؤولة، والعبد راع على مال سيده وهو مسؤول، ألا فكلكم راع وكلكم مسؤول

[7] Mentioned with the following wording in Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, Vol. 2, Hadeeth (#3287) from At-Tirmidhee and Abu Daawood.

رفع القلم عن ثلاثة عن النائم حتى يستيقظ وعن الصبي حتى يبلغ وعن المعتوه حتى يعقل

[8] With the following wording Shaykh al-Albaanee رحمه الله says it is Saheeh in Irwaa’ al-Ghaleel, Vol. 2, Hadeeth (#298).

مروا أبناءكم بالصلاة وهم أبناء سبع سنين واضربوهم عليها لعشر وفرقوا بينهم في المضاجع

Masjid Al Bukhaari 2501 Bristol Dr
West Palm Beach Fl 33049
(561) 291-9698