PDA

View Full Version : Some Different Types of Intercession (ash-Shafa’a)

Abbas.Abu.Yahya
02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Some Different Types of Intercession
(ash-Shafa’a)
Compiled and translated
By
Abbas Abu Yahya

The Shafa’a of the Messenger -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- cannot be achieved except by obedience to him.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

‘When the Messenger’s -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- status of being dependent upon Allaah Subhanahu was complete, all of the creation were in need of him in the Duniya (for the rulings of worshipping Allaah Alone) and in the Hereafter:

As for their need of him in this world; then it is stronger than their need for food, drink and breathing by which their bodies remain alive.

As for their need of him in the Hereafter; then the people will seek intercession from the Messengers so that they can be relieved from their severe condition. All of the Messengers will refrain from interceding, but the Prophet Muhammad -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- will intercede for them and he is the one who will open the gates of Paradise for them.’

Taken from ‘al-Fawaid’ by Shaykhul –Islaam Ibn al-Qayyim p. 99

The Shafa’a of the Angels

Taken from the Sharh of Aqeedatu Tahaweeya by Shaykh Salih aalush-Shaykh:

The fifth point:

Ash-Shafa’a on the Day of Judgement is not specifically for the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- nor for the other Prophets; rather the Angels will also intercede and the Believers will intercede according to their status’: ( the scholars, the martyrs and the righteous people will intercede), as is established in the Saheeh that Allaah Ta’ala will say on the Day of Judgement: {{ the Angels have interceded, the Prophets have interceded, the believers have interceded and nothing remains except the mercy of The Most Merciful of those who show mercy, so Allaah Ta’ala will command that groups of people, who did not do any good whatsoever, should be taken out of the fire. }} (hadeeth from Saheeh Muslim) to the end of the hadeeth.

So here ash-Shafa’a is not specific to the Prophets, but the Angels will also intercede as Allaah Ta’ala said describing the Angels who carry the ‘Arsh and other than them: <<and (they) ask forgiveness for those on the earth>> [Ash-Shurah: 5] and this seeking forgiveness is before helping them in the worst destination and punishment. They are the most merciful -who have been given responsibility- to the people of Eemaan, since they have seen the punishment and the worst destination.

Allaah said: {{the Angels have interceded, the Prophets have interceded, the believers have interceded}} so there is a general ash-Shafa’a for every righteous believer to intercede; he will intercede for his close relatives and for whoever he wills.

The Shafa’a of Children for their Parents

Hadeeth – taken from Silsilah Saheehah No. 3416

On the authority of Habeebah or Umm Habeebah who said: ‘We were sitting in the house of ‘Aa’ishah, and the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- entered and said: ‘There are no two parents whose three children die before they reach the age of accountability, except that they are brought until they are standing at the door of Paradise.

It will be said to them; ‘Enter Paradise.’

They will say: ‘Should we enter Paradise even though our parents have not yet entered?!’

So it will be said them again to enter, - I do not know if it is the second time but it will be said to them-: ‘Enter Paradise along with your parents.’ The Messenger said ‘and that is the saying of Allaah –Azza wa Jal - << So no intercession of intercessors will be of any use to them>>’ [Al-Muddathir: 48] and the Messenger also said: ‘the intercession of children benefits their parents.’

Narrated by Ishaq bin Rahawayah in his Musnad & authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaani

The Seventy Thousand that will enter Paradise with the Messenger’s Intercession

Hadeeth – taken from Silsilah Saheehah No. 1879

His -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- Shafa’a on the Day of Judgement

On the authority of Abu Huraira from the Prophet: ‘I asked Allaah – Azza wa Jal – for ash-Shafa’a for my Ummah and Allaah said to me: ‘You can have seventy thousand who will enter Paradise without being taken to account.’ So I said: ‘O Allaah increase the number for me.’ So Allaah said: ‘Indeed you will have this.’ So Allaah increased them in front of Him and on the right and on the left.’

Narrated by al-Baghawi & authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaani

Shaykh al-Albaani brings another supporting evidence for the above hadeeth from ‘Mishkaat’ with an authentic chain:

On the authority of Abu Umaamah who said I heard the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- saying: ‘My Lord promised me that seventy thousand from my Ummah will enter Paradise without account or being punished and that with every thousand of these there will be another seventy thousand and there will be many, many more from those whom Allaah has increased.’

Narrated by Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaani in Mishkaat no. 5556

The Intercession of the righteous people from the Ummah of the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam

Hadeeth – taken from Silsilah Saheehah No. 2178

On the authority of Abu Umaamah who said I heard the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- : ‘People will enter Paradise due to the Shafa’a of a person who is not a Prophet. The amount that will enter will be like the tribe of al-Hayyain, or the like of one of the sub-tribes of al-Hayyain like the tribe of Rabeeyah and the tribe of Maddar.’
A man said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah. Is not the tribe of Rabeeyah from the tribe of Maddar?’

The Messenger answered; ‘Indeed I say what I say.’

Narrated by Ahmad, Ibn ‘Aasakir and authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaani

The Correct Belief in ash-Shafa’a refutes the ideology of the Khawaarij

The Khawaarij hold the opinion that if a Muslim commits a major sin then he has left Islaam, however the correct belief of the Salaf is that he does not leave Islaam, but he must repent to Allaah Ta’ala. The following is a refutation of the ideology of the Khawaarij:

On the authority of Anas who said that the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- said: ‘My intercession is for those from my Ummah who commit major sins.’
Narrated by Tirmidhi, Ibn Khuzaimah and authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaani in Mishkaat no. 5558-9

Those whose intercession will not be accepted

On the authority of Abu Darda who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- saying, ‘Indeed those who curse cannot be witnesses or intercessors on the Day of Judgement.’

Narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawood and Ahmad

This chapter heading was mentioned by Shaykh Muqbil in his book ‘ash-Shafa’a’

Intercession by reading the Qur’aan

On the authority of Abu Umaamah al-Baahilee who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- saying, ‘Read the Qur’aan, since it will come as an intercessor on the Day of Judgement for the one who reads it. Read the two illuminating lights, Sooratul Baqarah and Soorah Aali Imran since they will come on the Day of Judgement as though they are two shades overhead or two large clouds or two groups of birds with wings outstretched, bringing forward evidence for the one who reads these two Soorahs. Read Sooratul Baqarah because taking to it is a blessing (Barakah) and leaving it is sorrow, and magicians can cannot read/confront it.’

Narrated by Muslim, al-Bayhaqi and Ahmad

All Praise belongs to Allaah, may His peace
and blessings be upon our final
Prophet Muhammad, his
family, his companions
and all those who
follow his
guidance.